« Political Elsewhere | Main | Wrapping It Up, Onion-Style »

November 05, 2008

Bagatelles

* So here we are in the Santa Barbara area, this blog's fave vacation spot. No double-secret staff meeting with Michael this year, however.

I haven't posted for a few days because we got hit with the flu en route. That and maybe coping with yet another of those nasty ol' birthdays.

* The election is over and now the Democrats have nothing to get bitter about. No more BusHitler. No more paranoia. Camelot has returned. And as for whatever goes wrong in the next few years, well ....

* When I was young (and even middle-aged) I got high hopes if the presidential candidate I supported won the election. For example, I figured that Ike would really straighten out that Cold War / Communist expansion thing that had happened on Truman's watch. I still have hopes that things will change in the direction I prefer, but in democracies no initiative can prevail for long before generating a pushback. Obamafans beware!

* I just did the math: Of the 16 elections where I was old enough to have a preference, the candidate I favored was victorious 11 times. So I suppose I shouldn't complain too much about yesterday's results.

posted by Donald at November 5, 2008

Comments

Read this morning's papers. They're already making excuses for Obama not being able to govern effectively. It typically goes like this: the problems he's inheriting from the Bush Administration will make it hard to (insert campaign promise here).

Thus, Donald, "whatever goes wrong in the next few years" will still be blamed on Bush.

Posted by: Bill on November 5, 2008 12:06 PM

Bill -- They will be able to get away with that for awhile, that's true. But after a year or so enough decisions, orders, legislation, etc. will have been theirs, and most people will be tuning out the Bush-blame. Republicans blamed Clinton for the recession that started in 2000 as well as for dropping the ball on terrorism, but that blame-game reached its expiration long before 2004 -- to the extent it had much traction for the general public in any case. On balance, it's probably a good thing that most folks aren't policy wonks who fixate on "Well, that position paper stated thus-and-so, but ours said ... "

Posted by: Donald Pittenger on November 5, 2008 12:57 PM

11 out of 16? That means It's All Your Fault.

Posted by: dearieme on November 5, 2008 2:22 PM

I was just going to write something to the extent, when I saw Bill's comment. [actually I did - at some other place].

Came to work today in a less than sunny mood - last Absolut Citron shot really was a mistake - and was immediately cheered up by a bit of conversation I overheard: "Biden is such an asset for the Party! An experienced person like him will guide Obama in economic decisions!"

I couldn't help but started giggling. I think it will only intensify in the near future.

Posted by: Tatyana on November 5, 2008 2:49 PM

@Bill:
> "whatever goes wrong in the next few years" will still be blamed on Bush.

I have to agree with you.

I'm a middle-aged, conservative, religious (Jewish) guy, but even I voted for Obama. He was simply the only one of the two candidates who _might_ have a clue. I would have voted for Giuliani or Romney if I had had the choice, but I didn't.

Worst case: Omama is Carter, and the Republicans nominate someone of the stature of Reagan in 2012 (Jindal, maybe?)

Best case: Obama is Clinton. He talks liberal but gives us 8 years of peace and prosperity.

Posted by: Art on November 5, 2008 3:09 PM

Also interesting to note that I've heard NO stories about voting irregularities, voter intimidation, confusing ballots, etc. etc. What's up with that?

Posted by: Sgt. Joe Friday on November 5, 2008 3:21 PM

I can also remember when I thought that it was very important that my candidate win.

I voted very unenthusiastically for McCain, but I don't care much that Obama won.

The world will go on as before. It's not that important who's president.

Posted by: Shouting Thomas on November 5, 2008 4:16 PM

Dearieme - Hahahahahahha!

Posted by: Sister Wolf on November 5, 2008 7:18 PM

Art, you are an excellent reason why conservative voters are turning to alcohol. And away from the Republican party.

Posted by: Bob Grier on November 5, 2008 9:29 PM

True enough that Dems will have a harder time with some of their schtick, especially their nouveaux faux consciousness argument about Kansas, and what is the matter with it.

On the other hand--and you heard it here first--watch for the Republicans trot out their own falso consciousness tripe if the country actually shifts a tad left.

Posted by: fenster on November 6, 2008 12:32 PM

The world will go on as before. It's not that important who's president.

this is sort of true and sort of not. Anyway, it what I believed before Bush. I guess now I think the President can't really improve things that much, but he can screw them up a lot worse.

Posted by: MQ on November 6, 2008 1:11 PM

Posted by: fenster on November 6, 2008 5:25 PM

Posted by: fenster on November 6, 2008 7:42 PM

Okay fenster, we're not retards.

And by the way, Bob Grier, Tatyana has turned to alcohol already!

Posted by: Sister Wolf on November 7, 2008 1:21 AM

A point to remember, Art, is that the voters took the car keys away from Clinton in 1994, and he spent the next six years diddling interns. Practically none of his original ideas were ever implemented.

Posted by: thaprof on November 7, 2008 3:52 PM

fenster - are you been so far out of the Blowhards loop, they didn't sent one of their own a memo about moderation turned on? You don't have an access to the template anymore?
Country did turned to the left - thanks to belligerent propaganda machine and temptation of vulgar socialism ("spread the wealth!", remember? We will)
Now is a great time for us, conservatives and libertarians (or true, classical liberals, using the term in its proper meaning): wait and see their designs collapsing on themselves. The O'Bummer is scared already - his minions started issuing releases about "lowering expectations". Heh.
Now the real fun will begin.

Posted by: Tatyana on November 8, 2008 2:33 PM

I am not sure I understand where the enthusiasm and Bobby Jindal-Reagan comparisons are coming from. And I say this as a right of center Indian American. The guy is short-ish, extremely skinny, nerdy and serious. He does not seem charismatic at all. He would make a good adviser, but he does not seem to have the personal magnetism to get others, especially liberals, to rally to him in a nationwide election. Plus, there is the weird exorcism episode.

Posted by: JM on November 10, 2008 7:35 PM