« Nerdcore | Main | Striped, Open, Out »

September 18, 2006

Every Day

If you had to choose one, would you cast your vote ...

for deadpan Ahree Lee, who photographed herself every day for three years?

for moody Josh, who snapped a pic of himself every day for six years?

Or for impish Finn Margrie, who spoofed both the above?

Any volunteers out there willing to write the definitive (and needed) essay about digital technology, adolescent values, and narcissism?

posted by Michael at September 18, 2006

Comments

The Ahree Lee is the best. She poses in the most consistent fashion under good lighting conditions. I also like the music score she uses better. The neutral background behind her adds a sense of clinical urgency somehow.

Posted by: Charlton Griffin on September 18, 2006 9:25 AM

I think "adolescent values" and "narcissism" are kinda the same thing, aren't they?

These kids didn't spring from pods. Whe the hell are their parents? Is this like over-breeding? The inevitable result of too many baby boomers mating? Like, any more self-absorption and they will cease to be human, and just become mirrors.

Posted by: annette on September 18, 2006 10:29 AM

I wish I'd thought of doing the spoof.

Though come to think of it, there's still room for elaboration on the theme. Where's the utube video from somebody who, every day for years, took a picture of his or her foot? Wouldn't it be interesting to see an average person's toenail growth cycle over time? Or perhaps a picture of the back of their head?

Posted by: Glen Raphael on September 18, 2006 3:23 PM

I agree that Ahree Lee's is the best.

Josh's is too long, it's as though he wanted to be sure we saw each picture long enough to register it. I couldn't even make it all the way through his. The music annoyed me.

Posted by: claire on September 18, 2006 5:37 PM

I don't know which is worse, Carly Commando or Philip Glass...

These videos will be interesting if they stretch them out over 50 years.

Posted by: onetwothree on September 18, 2006 5:48 PM

The hell??? That spoofer is a dude. Crime in Italy.

He seems to have blocked the comments on account of Youtuber's persistent expressions of shock, surprise, and bewilderment. No doubt a serious gender identity disorder is even now aborning.

I have to admit, though... I'd hit it.

Posted by: Brian on September 18, 2006 7:42 PM

Adolescent values may be the only thing that saves us from our adult selves. Gimme some more, sir, please.

Posted by: Don McArthur on September 18, 2006 9:07 PM

I'm still a little stunned by the comment above that the spoofer is a guy. Is he 13? Good god, I'd kill for features that feminine, and I'm a woman!

But I agree that Ahree's is the best because the background changes in Josh's were too distracting and it was too long, although I thought it was funny when there would be someone in the background. I mean, come on - Josh's one picture of the day and you can't stay out of the shot? :)

Posted by: jenny on September 18, 2006 11:14 PM

Glen, "toenail growth cycles"?
You know, some people CUT their toenails before growth becomes apparent...

Posted by: Tat on September 19, 2006 9:17 AM

Paris Hilton

Posted by: John Emerson on September 19, 2006 11:53 AM

Tat: last year I went skiing in boots that were too small and half-killed both big toenails. It would actually be pretty interesting to see the progress over time whereby toenails recover from that sort of injury. You can't see much change from day to day but progress is slow but sure over the course of months.

The problem with these face pictures is that so far there's too little physical change over time. It'd be interesting if, say, a boxer did the same thing. Or somebody recovering from plastic surgery.

Posted by: Glen Raphael on September 19, 2006 3:28 PM

Glen, believe me, my question was not intended to solicit details from your personal toenail record.

Gross.

Posted by: Tat on September 19, 2006 4:29 PM

What fun. When you watch Noah, concentrate on the shirts (and how often he wears the same ones). Also, notice his hair!

Posted by: Robert Nagle on September 19, 2006 10:20 PM

This is not the same, but I did an art project where I took pictures of everything I ate for a year. After that I've found other 2 people that have done the same in years after that, and supposedly a japanese that has done that for many years, but I haven't seen any image of that...
The project is called "You are what you eat" and if you are interested it's here:

Posted by: Roni on September 21, 2006 3:23 PM

Funny how the adolescent is the least narcissistic.

Posted by: Beerzie Boy on September 21, 2006 5:17 PM