« Case Studies in State Formation, Part II: Athens | Main | Every Day »

September 18, 2006

Nerdcore

They may despise yoga, obsess about alpha males, run screaming from cooking classes, and wish women came with Help files installed, but by god nothing can prevent them from creating their own brand of music. Thanks to Coffee Mug at GNXP, who pointed out this hilarious site devoted to Nerdcore, badass tracks laid down by rhymin' and bustin' geeks. (Am I using the lingo even remotely correctly?) And if GNXP doesn't know geek, then who does?

I was especially taken by a sweet and funny bit of romantic harmonizing by the Australian comedy group Tripod.

posted by Michael at September 18, 2006

Comments

Try "rhyme-bustin' geeks," instead.

Posted by: Dirk Deppey on September 18, 2006 1:00 AM

Michael, I love your site and appreciate your attempt to understand the common American Nerd and his mating habits...However, I think that you need to be a little more scientific about this.

In all of my years and through all of my friends, I have never heard of any couple meeting at Yoga or Cooking classes. I am not saying that it has never happened.

But we should probably follow the numbers: College, Work, Friends-Of-Friends.

My guess would be that these three combined amount to more Hook-Ups than all of the other options combined.

Posted by: Ian Lewis on September 18, 2006 9:56 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention Church. I am not religious, but many are.

Posted by: Ian Lewis on September 18, 2006 9:56 AM

"the common American Nerd and his mating habits"

WHAT mating habits?

By the way, this posting is somewhat misleading as it implies that nerds and geeks are one and the same. That is absolutely NOT true. Geeks may have somewhat quirky interests but most of them are reasonably well-adjusted people with marriage prospects not significantly poorer than the male population in general. Nerds are very poorly adjusted and have marriage prospects ranging from slim to none.

Posted by: Peter on September 18, 2006 12:25 PM

"...if GNXP doesn't know geek, then who does..." is hilarious.

Posted by: annette on September 18, 2006 2:46 PM

I don't think we have many geeks at GNXP, though lots of nerds. Geeks are more like happy-go-lucky goofballs. Nerds are more like angry loners. Geeks just have weird tastes, while nerds are more devoted to some area of knowledge (I'd call someone a "film nerd" or "design nerd" rather than "geek"). Someone who has memorized all the plot inconsistencies in the classic Star Trek episodes = geek, while a science or humanities bookworm = nerd.

I've never thought about which group (if male) has more miserable dating prospects -- on the one hand, geeks you can't take home to Mom or introduce to your friends, what with the constant Yoda-talking and goofy appearance. On the other hand, at least they're not as suspicious, antagonistic, and occasionally hostile as nerds can be (not in a physical way, though, obviously).

Geeks are thus more effeminate in comparison -- but you figure any girl who wants a guy's guy wouldn't have to make the geek vs nerd choice anyway. The less desirable girls who do have to make this choice might prefer the geek's gentleness to the nerd's nastiness.

Posted by: Agnostic on September 18, 2006 10:06 PM

I define a geek as someone who has highly specialized knowledge in a usually arcane field, but has an essentially normal personality. It is a generally harmless and non-insulting term. A nerd, on the contrary, is introverted (often pathologically so) and anti-social, often incapable of more than the very most basic interaction with other people. Ask a nerd a simple question and at most you'll get a one-word reply, delivered without any eye contact. It is a highly pejorative term. Nerds - but not necessarily geeks - are strongly drawn to sci-fi and fantasy, usually as a substitute for normal interpersonal relationships.
Many of the people at GNXP are geeks, but few if any are nerds.

Posted by: Peter on September 19, 2006 12:18 AM

I happily label myself a geek (I own 'Doctor Who' DVDs, for pity's sake!) but I have a healthy sex life too, so I'm enjoying this conversation.

I'm glad to read everyone's 'geek vs. nerd' theories -- I used to find it odd that getting occasionally called a nerd would irritate me but you've got me seeing why.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going jogging with an iPod full of They Might Be Giants!

Posted by: Scott on September 19, 2006 10:53 AM