1. Illustration Art in the Middle of Nowhere
  2. American Masculinity Redeemed
  3. Remembering Regional Gasoline Brands
  4. Patty Does Lyle
  5. Blogging Note
  6. At Mark Sisson's
  7. DVD Journal: "Gilles' Wife"
  8. Painter of the Indistinct
  9. Whatever Happened to Casein Paints?
  10. What Does the "Peace Symbol" Symbolize?

« Blogging Note | Main | Remembering Regional Gasoline Brands »

September 10, 2009

Patty Does Lyle

Just because sharing YouTube music-video links is automatically a Good Thing ... Here's Patty Loveless singing the heck out of a witty and touching Lyle Lovett tune:

posted by Michael at September 10, 2009

Comments

Never heard her before. She has a lovely voice. Thanks for posting the video.

Posted by: anon on September 10, 2009 8:53 PM

good stuff, real classic country

Posted by: miles on September 10, 2009 9:42 PM

Iris Dement has a similar song which is also great (its a little more bitter and humorous).

LINK

Posted by: Larry, San Francisco on September 11, 2009 12:30 AM

Girl's got a horn. Just the right twang, too.

Lovett's a quirky writer. Not my favorite. I prefer the more traditional approach in country. But this is a good tune.

I was driving to an appointment yesterday and I heard a Loretta Lynn tune on Sirius radio, What Kind of a Girl Do You Think I Am? Circa 1968.

Great double entendre. The song never quite states what it is the guy wants her to do. Anybody want to guess?

Posted by: Shouting Thomas on September 11, 2009 7:14 AM

Oh, dear, dear Patty. No country singer performing today is in her league, saving only Martina McBride. And Martina is wasting her astonishing voice on slick, commercial material while Patty sticks to her roots.

Posted by: Rick Darby on September 11, 2009 8:52 AM

I've never heard Patty Loveless sing that song. What a treat. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: Kurt Harden on September 13, 2009 8:45 AM

Shouting -- I don't get it. How is it a double entendre? Seems pretty clear that the guy is asking her for sex. What's the other meaning?

Posted by: asdf on September 13, 2009 8:01 PM

Good country is hard to beat lyrically. It's practically the only genre you can grow with as the subject matter and treatment of such is actually targeted to grown-ups.

Off-topic a bit, but goddamn, I can't listen to practically any music from the 90s, the decade of my 20s, anymore because the lyrics are so petulant and angst-ridden. Angst does not age well. Some great stuff musically from that time-period, so mostly I just tune out the lyrics when listening to it. Even more grating, I'm finding much from the 60s that grows with you nicely.

Posted by: JV on September 14, 2009 11:27 AM

Btw, country-lovin' readers of this blog, any of you dig Neko Case? I think she's the biggest vocal talent of the past 10 years and her song choices and arrangements are spectacular. She's also a really fine songwriter. Her vocal style is somewhat similar to Loveless, but a bit more stylized. Here's a pretty good example of her on Austin City Limits:

Her backing band is always fantastic. Her and Lucinda Williams are probably my favorite modern country artists.

Posted by: JV on September 14, 2009 11:47 AM

JV has now become an old fogey. Welcome to the club you've spent the last while insulting. Doesn't matter...the old fogey club never stops receiving new members as they "grow into" fogeyism, so we're glad to welcome you into our sclerotic splenetic old ranks.

Yep, yessiree, 23-skidoo! Just a never ending supply of new old fogeys, what with the ongoing passage of that thing called time, and all.

Hey, JV, got any Depends jokes for us? And say hi to that young whippersnapper pal of yours, Fred something. Remember him? Probably not...you know how the brain gets a little cloudy with age.

What was I saying? Oh yep! I remember! That Fred S young un you were so fond of back a while ago...was it before or after that Nixon guy was President? Anyway, you know who I mean...

Zzzzz...Fred! Right! I am awake! No I was not dozing!

I'm sure your little boy Fred's going to have some choice comments on your "evolving" musical tastes, JV. Maybe his comments'll be just as tasteless and empty as the ones of his you so approved of when they were directed at me. Will you like them so much when they're sent your way this time? I do wonderzzzzzz....

Ooops. Gotta go. Literally! Going to have myself a movement. Wish me luck!

Posted by: PatrickH on September 15, 2009 9:18 AM

JV, Thanks for the link to the Neko Case performance. I hadn't heard of her.

She has talent and potential, but needs to vary her tone more and add some subtlety to the delivery. We get it that she has great pipes and can belt out the lyrics, but she needs to learn to tell a story.

I agree with you about the band. They're first-class.

Posted by: Rick Darby on September 15, 2009 9:46 AM

asdf,

This song hit the charts in 1968. Check out what was going on sexually in that era.

No, I don't think the guy was just asking Loretta to have sex.

So, once again, what do you think he was asking her to do?

In my opinion, it's unlikely that he was suggesting one-on-one sex in the missionary position.

Posted by: Shouting Thomas on September 15, 2009 10:33 AM

I'm shaking my cane at you, Patrick.

Posted by: JV on September 15, 2009 1:10 PM

Now don't do that, JV. That's what Michael Jackson did at his trial. You may be an old fogey now, but you're not that far gone. He's past old fogeyhood into, well, you know what happens after you get old. He's transitioned into that, ah, "phase of life", so to speak. I hope it's many many years before you (and I) end up there, so ix-nay on ane-shaking-cay.

Posted by: PatrickH on September 16, 2009 12:01 PM