« Linkage | Main | Indifference to Flowers »

May 02, 2009

Taking Secession Seriously

Most lefties appear to be either angered or puzzled by the recent talk about secession. Bioregionalist lefty Kirkpatrick Sale isn't one of them.

posted by Michael at May 2, 2009

Comments

Not puzzled--I mean after GWB and Palin, it's not like we don't know they're crazy. It's just kind of irritating that, having thoroughly trashed the place, so many righties now want to bail.

But whatever...good riddance I say.

Posted by: Steve W on May 2, 2009 1:55 AM

I quite see that all the States have the right to secede but does the Union have the right to expel a State?

Posted by: dearieme on May 2, 2009 11:50 AM

Hey, Steve W., if you don't see that it was a group effort (dems and repubs) to "trash the place" I think you must be blind in your left eye.

As for secession, how about secession lite, states rights. I'd like to live in a state with tough laws on crime, a place where one needs to go through the ringer to get govt. assistance or to be classified as unable to work. My ideal state would take care of the environment, and it would punish businesses for hiring noncitizens. There would be no affirmative action or "diversity" mandates. There would be several other things I would like in a state.
Why not let states come up with their systems, and let folks vote with their feet? Obviously, my ideal may not exist, but I could choose the closest state to my liking.

You lefties could create your Californias, and every year around Xmas, the sane states could collect canned goods and send them your way.
sN

Posted by: sN on May 2, 2009 10:41 PM

If Texas seceded, I'd be tempted to move there. In the US I have a doubling of the National Debt in 10 years to look forward to, greatly increased energy costs to pay for Obama's cap and trade proposals, a possibly bankrupt social security system by the time I reach retirement age, and a government that is generally increasing in size, even under republicans.

Posted by: Patrick on May 2, 2009 11:52 PM

If Texas secedes, I'm applying for a job at Sul Ross State University (it's in Alpine, so I'm told).

Seriously, the fact that so many lefties have an irrational hatred of the very idea of secession suggests there must be something there. Why are they so threatened by it?

Posted by: Lester Hunt on May 3, 2009 9:48 AM

Lester, I've always half-jokingly advocated for California to secede, if only because we seem to lead the way on many things out here, for better and for worse, I'll admit. We've got the agriculture, the diverse natural resources, two large ports, the tech and entertainment industries, and probably the best university systems (private and public) on the planet. Let's here if for the Republic of California!

What I'm saying is, there are many lefties who think and talk about this subject as well. What get us annoyed about the recent secession talk is that it's mostly coming from the right, almost immediately into a Dem administration, and you didn't hear one peep about it during the past 8 years.

Posted by: JV on May 3, 2009 2:08 PM

you didn't hear one peep about it during the past 8 years

I bring you the post 2004 election The United States of Canada

Posted by: Tom West on May 3, 2009 3:54 PM

You hear the same thing coming out of NYC every so often. I think any region that has enough of an identity and happens to be at the border of the country (it wouldn't really work if Kansas or Missouri tried to secede) flirts with the idea every so often--remember Cascadia? Vermont secession? The NH Free State Project? It never happens, largely because everybody remember what happened the last time they tried it in 1861.

Posted by: SFG on May 3, 2009 4:19 PM

That would be FANTASTIC if Texas seceded. I say so as a Democrat...just think about the electoral college.

Posted by: George on May 3, 2009 5:48 PM

George, you really don't need Texas to depart. You dems have the power. What are the things that you are doing now that need to be done with even greater enthusiasm?
sN

Posted by: sN on May 3, 2009 7:49 PM

"It's just kind of irritating that, having thoroughly trashed the place, so many righties now want to bail."

Yeah, I remember those days. The Right wing Republicans controlled the Congress, both houses! It was crazy. All those Democrats were against funding the wars and torture after 9-11, but it didn't matter. Bush tricked them all: Kerry, Hilary Clinton and Pelosi... Luckily, with liberals and Democrats now firmly in charge, troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have been brought home and those bailouts to Wall St. have stopped!

Lefties weren't always angered or puzzled. Tom West links to "Jesusland" Leftists were overjoyed with the red staters leaving the Union. Good riddance one often heard, can't happen fast enough (Oddly enough, the Vermonst secssionist mov't seems to be ignored by the Left, whereas a secessionist mov't by say Texas is somehow a threat. Wonder why that would be?).
What's changed? Well for one thing, the left won't be able to continue all those pet projects, they need money. Lots and lots of money. Secession would mean that the cash pipeline would really dry up. Then the fun is over. And besides, how dare anyone else think they know what is best for themselves?! That's the Left's job! Anyway, the Left is always babbling about diversity. Secession would bring diversity. Who could be against that?

Posted by: Johnny Reb on May 3, 2009 11:00 PM

Anyone look at this in a non-partisan way?

Seems to me one of the nice things about the idea of secession is that it would allow us to ditch *both* of the parties.

Posted by: ron on May 4, 2009 8:22 AM

You know, not being American I really can't comment on your secessionist movements, but in my more misanthropic moments I sometimes wonder what the societies would be like if we could separate all the Lefties from the Righties. I mean, would Left wing world be all fun and naughtiness and Right wing world all boring and staid? I doubt it, in fact I reckon Right wing world would probably a lot more fun than puritan leftville. From what I can gather, no one has been able to build a happy and functioning left wing society.

Posted by: slumlord on May 4, 2009 8:44 AM

LINK

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on May 4, 2009 10:14 AM

Slumlord, I think the line between the left and the right is wildly overdrawn. We take our cues from the fringes of each side, but the reality is that we're deviating one way or another only a few degrees with each election. "Permanent" majorities are those that last a decade, and the people that clamored for Military Security yesterday want Economic Security today and will want Economic Opportunity tomorrow.

I'd hate to see a society incapable of responding to the changing needs of the people, and that's what we get. Since very few of us mirror the will of the people all of the time, most of us will never be entirely happy with the policies of those in charge.

If we separated out into two groups, the lines would be blurred in 10 years and lost entirely 2 generations later. People change and so do the countries that reflect those people.

Posted by: Tom West on May 4, 2009 11:58 AM

I think anger and puzzlement are utterly reasonable reactions to secession. Or this just another "Angry Left" meme?

Posted by: RayButler on May 11, 2009 11:17 PM