« Derb, Steve, Game | Main | Still Time for Gold? »

March 13, 2009

New York City Movie Prices

watchman_ticket-1.jpg

Semi-related: I wrote about another Zack Synder-directed movie, "300."

posted by Michael at March 13, 2009

Comments

Well, admittedly it had the requisite number of standard cliches but on balance I liked it. Maybe part of liking it was paying $7 to see it. Ah, there's nothing like schadenfreude.;^)
But seriesly, I thought the actor who played Rorshach, Jacky Earle Haley, filled the screen with tremendous energy. He was worth the price of admission alone.

Posted by: ricpic on March 14, 2009 4:29 PM

Dude... SCREW THAT!

I'd been feeling a tad disgruntled because it's now $4.50 to rent a DVD, but I had no idea the box office was that bad.

Posted by: JP on March 14, 2009 8:59 PM

I dunno, this guy gave it 5 / 5:

Posted by: agnostic on March 14, 2009 10:57 PM

Funny vid. You're reminding me of something The Wife and I whispered back and forth at each other at one point: "It's like a 12 year old boy's idea of a serious movie."

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on March 14, 2009 11:41 PM

Two drinks at a bar will cost you 12 bucks. Movies are still pretty good deals, IMO, as long as you sneak in your own snacks.

Posted by: JV on March 15, 2009 4:28 AM

Why would you buy DVDs anymore? isohunt.com, hulu, boxee...

Posted by: asdf on March 15, 2009 8:21 AM

Jackie Earle Haley was good ... Anyone else remember him as one of the kids in "Breaking Away"?

Nice things about buying DVDs (which I only do used and/or on sale): the extras are sometimes interesting. And, once done with 'em, I love giving them away to friends. But I probably ought to get myself a new box of some sort. Anyone got a Vudu?

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on March 15, 2009 10:12 AM

"And the movie was a great big bore too. The characters completely failed to engage me ... The story didn't really kick in until the movie was nearly over ... Tell me again what I was supposed to find interesting and fun about this experience?"

Don't bother to read the comic book -- The movie is extremely faithful in that the characters are unlikeable and the story doesn't really start until it's almost over, but they at least cut out the beyond-absurd ending of the comic.

Apparently, you're supposed to like it because it's "critically acclaimed" as a "serious work." Personally, I think I'd rather enjoy an un-preachy, un-serious movie.

Posted by: Rising on March 15, 2009 2:44 PM

The movie wasn't meant for you. It was made for obsessive fanboys like Harry Knowles who've read the comic and think slavish fidelity to the source material is the mark of genius.

Posted by: Bryan on March 15, 2009 4:06 PM

Tix prices have really killed my movie-going frequency since moving to NYC. What gets me is that there's no matinee prices -- even if they were "only" ten bucks, it'd be a soft subconscious incentive to go. That said, once the psychological pricepoint barrier of $10 was broken, taking a chance on not being bored/disappointed for 2 hours doesn't seem worth it.

Posted by: CT on March 16, 2009 7:18 PM

Michael:

I've been thinking of a way to cut my subscription to satellite TV and just stream the few shows or a streaming movie from Netflix from my MacBook to my TV, preferably wirelessly. As of yet, I haven't found a good or inexpensive solution. Here's a good article from CNET that looks at a variety of boxes, including VUDU.

If you'd be happy with what Amazon on Demand and Netflix offer for streaming, then the Roku box sounds very good.

LINK

Posted by: Peter L. Winkler on March 18, 2009 5:32 AM

Peter, don't bother with devices like Vudu , Apple TV or the the Netflix box. Get a Mac mini. It will cost you a few hundred dollars more, but it's a full service computer that you can hook up to your TV and control with a remote. You can stream Netflix, watch Hulu, use it as a DVR, browse the internet and email with it. It's a fantastic machine, the perfect (for now) media center.

Posted by: JV on March 18, 2009 12:45 PM

Michael --

1) get the best and constantly updated dvd protected software going. It's these days gotten kinda expensive at about 130 for both the two programs you need. (they operate together seemlessly; they're separate progs for legal resons.) The two are Slysoft's AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. (I've had them for 4 years now and they work with absolutely everything, they never charge for updates, and updates are available - but unnecessary - every two weeks or so. Based out of Antigua where they have a nice life sailing and paying off the government.) So this is investment is amortized over, I don't know, 10 years at least. BTW, they have a blueray crack already and it's free for those who have their regular DVD progs.

2) buy a started set of 100 blank DVDs either + or - depending on your computer's DVD from NewEgg over in NJ for $20, + $3 more to deliver in one or two days. They're next door. I buy two or three at a time.

3) subscribe to netflix. Get as many or as few disks at a time as you want to start to build an inventory. Thing is you copy stuff as soon as it comes in and return the next morning in your outgoing mail. So you'll get more if you want to build inventory fast or less if you don't. Maybe a good # of disks for a couple of months and then cut back.

4) write on disks with permanent felt pen the title and anything else you want.

5) All you're doing is time shifting when you watch the rented movie. It may be technically illegal, but it's not like you're distributing their stuff. This is way less of a rights issue than file sharing mp3's is, and we all know you're not allowed to graduate college these days unless you're expert at THAT. (Probably can't grad. high school either without being pro at that.)

Posted by: dougjnn on March 29, 2009 7:09 PM

protected dvd copying software

Posted by: dougjnn on March 29, 2009 11:18 PM

eh, I know everyone just stays home and watches DVDs, however they come by them now, but there is still something to be said for the experience of Going to The Movies.

It's like going out to eat; you know you can make the same grilled salmon and asparagus at home for less than ten bucks a plate, but even so it's just nice to get out sometimes.

That being said, I've not been to the Movies in ages; twenty bucks for me and the H to get tix, plus forty dollars for a babysitter? Just to watch a stinkin' movie?

If we're going to pay that much for a sitter, I'd just as soon not sit and stare at a screen for two hours.

Let's go drinking! LOL.