« Movie Linkage | Main | Government Supported Arts »

January 24, 2009

The New New York

* How bad is Madoff for the Jews?

* Toby Young thinks that Tina Brown ought to consider taking the subway.

* Some people are still trying to keep the party rolling.

posted by Michael at January 24, 2009

Comments

hold your breath friedrich,

im writing a defense of bernie madoff. (havebeen composing it for a while..)

Posted by: Ramesh on January 24, 2009 11:51 AM

Bad for the Jews ... that reminds me of an old joke:

[in a Jewish neighborhood]
"What's all the commotion?"
"A wild lion broke loose from the circus!"
"Oh ... is that good for the Jews, or bad for the Jews?"

Posted by: Peter on January 24, 2009 12:01 PM

Things have gotten so bad that wealthy liberals in NYC are unable to pay the "nanny tax" for their hired help!

Link

All is lost!

Posted by: Shocked on January 24, 2009 1:31 PM

I'm perplexed as to why the Jewish people are having such angst about Bernie Madoff. It's not like he enriched the chosen people at the expense of the goyem, he right royally screwed everyone, he showed no distinction. Madoff is a simple thief, his Jewishness is irrelevant.

While I have much sympathy with Jewish paranoia about future persecution, I cannot but think that the epithet "anti-Semite" is at times used as a bludgeon by which further discussion on morally questionable topics(i.e illegal settlements in Palestinian lands) is immediately silenced.

I have a lot of respect for Michael Waltzer, but I had to groan when I read this:

“I’m a moral philosopher, but I don’t think morality is all that important in the way we think about Wall Street and the economy.”

Now if you really want to piss off your Righteous Gentile, that's the way to go about it. Morality applies always.

Posted by: slumlord on January 24, 2009 5:10 PM

Not to divert this discussion from its intended subject, but how is it an illegal settlement if it's YOUR land, just out of curiosity?

Do you realize the absurdity of what you're implying?

It's like accusing someone living in Auckland who's Maori of criminality because she built an addition to her house.

I've got new for you: Moslems weren't living in Hebron two-thousand years ago.

-good times, G.

Posted by: Gerard on January 25, 2009 2:06 AM

Gerard:

Prior to the 1947 Balfour Partion, the area on maps of the middle east now labelled Israel was labelled Palestine.

Posted by: Peter L. Winkler on January 25, 2009 6:01 PM

I've got new for you: Moslems weren't living in Hebron two-thousand years ago.

Oh, it's based on historical precedence. Well then both the Palestinians and the Israelis should give the land back to the Canaanites, after all they were the original owners.

Posted by: slumlord on January 25, 2009 11:12 PM

But you have to find the Canaanites to give the land back to them, don't you?

(I mean, really. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one knows where they are these days, right? Wait! Maybe they're Chechens? Circassians? Cardassians? I've got it! They're...Canaadians! Okay, you Israelites! Move on over! We're coming back home! Eh vey!)

PLW, big deal about the name on the map being Palestine. Derived from a Roman/Greek name, wasn't it? And who were the people in that long long ago land when it had that name?

Posted by: PatrickH on January 26, 2009 4:06 PM

And who were the people in that long long ago land when it had that name?

Eh? You mean to Land of Canaan. Canaanstine.

Posted by: slumlord on January 27, 2009 4:01 AM

"Are the Jewish people overtly sensitive? You betcha. I can objectively criticise Protestant,Catholic, Buddhist, Atheist and Left wing people without much social opprobrium, but heaven forbid should I objectively criticise Jewish people or Israel for that matter, I'm automatically anti-Semitic, the ally of the Nazi's. No further discussion."

So how is it people are discussing it with you on this thread without calling you anti-semitic? Did Blowhard buy off the Jews, or are the Jews and their lackeys laying low to make you look foolish?

Posted by: Sticky Matt on January 27, 2009 12:17 PM

So how is it people are discussing it with you on this thread without calling you anti-Semitic? Did Blowhard buy off the Jews, or are the Jews and their lackeys laying low to make you look foolish?

You are quite correct, I'm quite capable of looking foolish all on my own, thank you. Perhaps they haven't said anything because I haven't made any anti-Semitic comments, now there's a novel idea. You can however take your tinfoil cap off, because between you and me, I don't think that there is any conspiracy going on.

Posted by: slumlord on January 28, 2009 1:47 AM