« 15 Years of Bestsellers per USA Today | Main | Are We Headed for Hyperinflation? »

November 08, 2008

Eating Linkage

* Stephan thinks you might want to consider giving up wheat and eating the fat on your steak.

* Time to start using lard? The Wife is one major lard-lover. "Lard is what makes a good pie crust," she says adamantly.

* Low-carbin' force of nature Jimmy Moore names the Top Ten Low-Carb Movers and Shakers of 2008.

* Enjoy a BBC documentary about the Atkins diet: Part One, Two, Three, Four, Five.

* Mark Sisson suggests enjoying some "paleo snacks."

posted by Michael at November 8, 2008

Comments

THANKS for the link to my "movers and shakers" post, Michael. But the link is broken. :) FYI!

Posted by: Jimmy Moore on November 8, 2008 8:38 AM

Always a pleasure keeping up with you, Jimmy. Apologies for botched link -- fixed now.

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on November 8, 2008 9:18 AM

I absolutely agree with your wife about the virtues of lard in pie crust. My wife, unfortunately, is concerned not about the fat content but about the tendency of factory-farm raised hogs to store the bad stuff they're fed (antibotics and whatnot) into their fat. I need to do some more research into this before I can convince her to use it on a regular basis.

Posted by: Steve on November 9, 2008 12:37 PM

Yeah, people do worry about that. I've read that bad stuff does accumulate in the pig's fat too, and that it's worth searching out organic lard for that reason. Not that that's easy.

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on November 9, 2008 12:48 PM

A lard/butter combination is my secret for a light, flaky, buttery pie crust.

I had not thought about lard containing nasty pig additives. Then again, there's really nothing healthy about pie, which is why it is so very delicious.

Posted by: Salamander on November 9, 2008 2:30 PM

Bless your wife for keeping the lard faith. (Though my sister does manage to turn out exquisite pie crusts with the evil Crisco. But she has serious cookin' mojo that I lack.)

I earnestly pray for a fat pig revival in this country. I have heard professional chefs claim that the trend toward lean pork has "ruined the product", and they are right. Fat on grocery store roasts has been disappearing down to nothing in the last decade. I have mouth-watering memories of the ambrosial pork roasts and "fresh hams" my (svelte) mother used to put on the table. Now we have skinny pigs and fat people. (And don't anybody be pushing that brining crap on me. No matter how carefully prepared and timed, brined pork always has echoes of ham. If I wanted to eat ham, I'd buy a goddamned ham. A perfect roast requires a thick layer of sweet, sweet, pork fat. True enough, though, about the factory farms.)

The link to Dr. Eades site was also enjoyable for both the invocation of the "coffee can with drippings" (I can see it next to my mother's oven now), and for the reminder that it was the anti-lard, anti-butter, anti-tallow health-ninnies who were trying to get everybody to go all trans-fat in the first place. Bet they'd like to get that securely down the memory-hole as quickly as possible, no?

Posted by: Moira Breen on November 9, 2008 2:36 PM

Time for a serious pork-fat revival.

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on November 9, 2008 2:44 PM