« More AWOL Campaign Issues | Main | Henry Cisneros, Housing Expert »

October 20, 2008

Gadget Linkage

* Is the computer mouse facing extinction?

* Which gadgets does tech reviewer David Pogue use in his real life?

* Gadget lover Ramesh unpacks his backpack for all to see.

Me, I take my cheapo Kodak digicam almost everywhere, but otherwise I'm usually gadget-free. Oh, OK, a cellphone may be along for the ride too, but I'm such a deep-dyed cellphone hater that I might as well leave it at home. To anyone who asks, I deny that I have one; I've given my number out to fewer than a half-dozen people; and I can go for days without turning the cursed thing on. With a Verizon pay-as-you-go plan, I keep my monthly cellphone costs to around ten bucks.

How many electronic doodads do you carry with you when you head out for the day? Can anyone match Ramesh?

posted by Michael at October 20, 2008

Comments

For a guy who makes his living online, I carry very little with me: cellphone and my trusty Canon Powershot SD50. I LOVE that camera.

Posted by: JV on October 20, 2008 4:22 AM

On a trip to the beach with my brother this summer, I had approx. $1,500 in gadgets on my person -- iPhone, Canon PowerShot camera, Flip video camera and Kindle -- along with another $700 worth in the car: iPod and GPS.

Posted by: Gil Roth on October 20, 2008 6:20 AM

Funny. I wonder if this is one of those topics on which the world divides into 2 kinds of people: "people who can't get enough gadgetry" and "people who need to get away from the gadgets occasionally."

I hear from friends with kids that their kids go off to school with laptops, cellphones, ipods, game machines ... with more than $1000 worth of equipment in the backpack. i'm not sure what to make of this but there it is.

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on October 20, 2008 10:10 AM

"tech reviewer David Pogue"

Dinosaur!

Posted by: Ramesh on October 20, 2008 10:19 AM

I consider myself a fairly late adapter of most technological trends, but right now in my purse I'm carrying a digital camera, blackberry w/phone, Palm pilot(when I upgrade my blackberry, this will become redundant), iPod, flash drive, and sandisk memory card reader (6 gadgets and go-withs). Not to mention tape measure, flashlight, and swiss army knife. Guess the engineer in me is showing.

Posted by: JulieBrook on October 20, 2008 10:23 AM

I have an antique British pay-as-you-go plan which costs me about ten bucks per decade. I have to make an outgoing call at least once every six months or the deal expires. Incoming calls are free.

Posted by: dearieme on October 20, 2008 10:40 AM

Though I resisted as long as possible, my place of work finally said "here's your crackberry" and I'll be damned if I don't love it. What's nice is that even though it is a leash, it's a long long long leash, and you have several options on how to respond to anyone. So, it's actually made me freer from the demands of communication, paradoxically.

Also, I usually have a cheap portable MP3 player on hand. I can't imagine paying Apple hundreds of dollars for something you can get for $20, with no DRM cha-cha. Toys-r-us and Target always have one on sale.

And though it probably doesn't count as a gadget, I always have a book with me. It'll be a hot day on the north pole before I buy a kindle or something like it.

Posted by: yahmdallah on October 20, 2008 11:37 AM

This may seem a rather obvious point, but has anyone ever linked the common inability to save money (for big things like mortgages) with the number of expensive gadgets that it's now almost compulsory for people to have, for minimum social functioning? Especially since those gadgets either wear out or become outdated quickly, and have to be replaced often. Oh, and there's the fact that gadgets aren't like a car (or like a car used to be): you don't buy one for the family's use, but one for each member of your household.

Clio

Posted by: alias clio on October 20, 2008 11:55 AM

And On my wishlist, i wish I had :

1. Bluetooth on my archos player, so I could stream from the web and watch films/TV on it(I have a slingbox at home tha puts the Cable on the internet, but I still have to use a computer/phone.

2.more widely available free wifi. its a pain in the ass to find passwords for pay as you go networks(for example, at airports). I refuse to use boingo..

3 An electronic wallet that would securely a. hold all my means of financing,b. Pay like a credit card c. Do the accounting automatically,with minimum intervension from me, d. bring me credit card offers/refinancing offers online ,instead of filling me withpaper spam.

4. I have still not cracked the method of streaming my home content to the web. All my films and content would be accessible from anywhere in the world if I could.

5. I dont know how to get vonage working on my cell phone. I'd be a total geek if I did...

Posted by: Ramesh on October 20, 2008 2:04 PM

The only device I carry daily is a watch.

But I've come to appreciate a few other gizmos on trips: a small video camera that uploads directly to YouTube, and my iPod with the car stereo jack.

At work I use any number of other electronic gadgets, but I have successfully avoided a needing a cellphone, so far.

Posted by: Matt on October 20, 2008 2:24 PM

1. That guy predicting the end of the mouse is the wrong kind of blowhard if you ask me.

2. I only wear a watch, which beeps every three hours to remind me to eat. (Don't laugh, I lost about forty-five pounds following this guy's advice.)

3. What kind of cheapo digicam do you have, Michael?

Posted by: Brian on October 20, 2008 4:17 PM