« Painting California | Main | Holiday Air Travel Question »

December 28, 2007

Raw Milk, Cont.

The raw-milk battles continue. In California, producers and fans are fighting a new law that some say would destroy the raw milk market. Apparently they have made their voices heard. Dr. John Zoldberg predicts that raw milk will be the top health story of 2008.

I'm not going to gloat and say "you heard about it here first." But, hey, you might have.

posted by Michael at December 28, 2007

Comments

I DID hear about raw milk here first, and its interesting---mostly, it brings out the liberterian in me---offer both milks, and let us decide, and accept the consequences!! Why would spend tax dollars on this?

However---one severe outbreak of the flu, or one heart attack by a Presidential candidate, and I think raw milk might not quite be "the health story of 2008." Given that most people have never heard of it...

Posted by: annette on December 28, 2007 11:44 AM

True foodies, especially those who travel, have been aware of the raw milk issue for a while.

Eating raw milk cheeses would be similar to Anthony Bourdain's take on shellfish-I know that there may be that one bad oyster in among his healthy buddies, but the thought of a couple hours of GI distress won't keep me from enjoying oysters!

Posted by: Brutus on December 28, 2007 1:16 PM

Usually last to have heard everything, I'd actually been hepped to the raw milk thang almost 10 years ago by a fellow actor, then had a reeeeeally interesting follow-up with an internet date several years back.

There's a raw goods underground here, complete with password and secret location. Me, I have to turn all my dairy into (homemade) yogurt or butter before I can eat it anyway, and I'm nowhere near bold enough for chicken sushi. (Yes, really.)

Frankly, all the processed crap most normies eat would kill me. I'd take my chances with the unpasteurized over that, diseased gut and all.

Posted by: communicatrix on December 29, 2007 1:43 AM

When I was 6 years old, I had to take nasty iron drops for anemia. Some old farmer where we lived (Springtown, Texas) told my dad that raw goat's milk was all I needed to pink up my cheeks.

So, every morning before school, as I wandered into the kitchen of the cafe my folks owned deciding on what to eat for breakfast ( which usually was a hamburger), Dad would grab me before I could sneak away, plop me up on the counter, and have my cold glass of goat's milk and chocolate-flavored Ovaltine ready and waiting.

There was no getting out it, H.L. was not the kind of dad you could easily say "no" to.

I tried holding my nose and drinking it, but that only stopped up my ears.

Can only say just remembering that damned milk still gives me the shudders.

(The anemia persisted on and off all during my adolescence, so no, it wasn't a cure-all if anyone is considering this as a health suggestion.)

Posted by: Cowtown Pattie on December 29, 2007 10:28 PM

A comment on the raw milk issue from an Australian perspective. The sale of raw milk and raw milk products was originally banned in Australia because they were sources for the spread of tuberculosis amongst human populations. Since then there has been a successful brucellosis and tuberculosis eradication campaign amongst the beef and dairy cattle herds. It has taken years but we are now starting to see approvals given for raw milk products to re-enter markets. Normal bacterial hygiene requirements still apply but the major problem of spread of tuberculosis no longer applies to these products.

Posted by: tjr on December 30, 2007 8:12 PM

I am a huge advocate of Raw Milk and Raw Milk products. And, like Pattie was implying, some people think that Raw Milk is the most amazing cure-all.

I have a theory as to how this happens:

Most people turn to Raw Milk for health reasons. (Not counting those Foodies who turn to Raw Milk Cheese for Culinary reasons). They usually have an illness that is not immediately life threatening. Usually it is something like allergies, consistent colds, rashes, things like that.

And there could be all sorts of causes. Lack of a particular vitamin, mineral or possibly even a lack of enzymes and bacteria.

Well Raw Milk is one of those rare foods that has a lot of different vitamins, minerals, bacteria and enzymes. Assuming that it comes from Grass-Finished Cows or Goats it will have at least trace amounts of almost every Vitamin and Mineral.

Also, since most people get far fewer enzymes in our foods than we used to (think Raw Foods), it could have a really bad effect on our health.

Well, drink a pint of Raw Milk each day and suddenly you are getting whatever it was that you were missing.

So, Raw Milk acts like a carpet bombing. After bombing the hidden enemy and waiting a few days you see that you no longer have that problem.

What was the cure? Vitamin E? Phosphatase? Conjugated Linoleic Acid? Who knows? But, the Raw Milk did the trick.

Posted by: Ian Lewis on December 31, 2007 10:08 AM

www.realmilk.com has a link for states where you can find raw milk products for sale:

Posted by: Cowtown Pattie on January 1, 2008 9:54 PM

The taste of goat's milk has joined broccoli, turnip, dark bread, dark chocolate, and strong flavours in general, as something I HATED as a child, but have grown to love as an adult.

Posted by: PatrickH on January 2, 2008 2:23 PM