« More Reading and Writing Linkage | Main | Food, Fat, and Health Linkage »

December 06, 2007

A Brand for the Ages

I used to pay attention to beer brands back when I was young and drank the stuff fairly regularly with fraternity brothers, army buddies and grad school chums. Nowadays, beers are flying well below my radar.

That's why I was startled earlier today while cruising the freeway and passing a beer truck with an odd image plastered on the sides and rear. A country scene with a moose standing in a pool or lake or something. (Remember, I'm driving 60 miles per hour, the truck is in the next lane to my right, and I can't do more than glance its way.) And what's that just below the Moose's head, that white area there? A waterfall in the background? No. Could the moose be drinking from a fountain of some sort? No, again.

Why, it's ...

Moose Drool Brown Ale from Big Sky Brewing Co. of Missoula, Montana.

Moose%20Drool%20sixpack.jpg

Moose%20Drool%20bottle.JPG

I am ashamed that I'd never heard of the brand. What a treasure!

Okay. So it's not genteel. But if you're in the twentysomething-male demographic hotspot for beer marketers, the name is fabulous. Image some Gallatin Valley ranch-hands or University of Montana students near the brewery snorting with laughter when hearing "Hey! Let's swill some Moose Drool!"

Guys can be gross. Gross can be fun.

posted by Donald at December 6, 2007

Comments

"Let's toss back some Moose Drool!"

Works for me.

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on December 6, 2007 7:30 PM

Moose Drool is considered close to the nectar of the gods here in Montana. I'm allergic to beer and wine (anything fermented), but often keep Moose Drool on hand because my guests, without exception, go for it. There are a dozen imitations now.

Posted by: Richard S. Wheeler on December 6, 2007 7:59 PM

Moose Drool is a fine, fine beer. Hearty, smoooth, rich, one of my all time favorites.

Posted by: ptm on December 6, 2007 10:16 PM

Another of my favorite beer names: Dixie Blackened Voodoo.

It's a great dark beer.

Posted by: Shouting Thomas on December 6, 2007 11:10 PM

Flying Dog is a microbrewery in Colorado that makes a variety of excellent beers. Their tagline, emblazoned on their cartons: "Great beer, no s***".

Posted by: Peter on December 6, 2007 11:46 PM

Arrogant Bastard Ale, put out by Stone Brewery, is a fine tasting brew with just the right attitooode.

Plus their beerware is fine. I'm Very Bitter, And I like it.

Delaware's premier brewer, Dogfish Head is not bad either, although drinking more than one bottle in an hour produces a funny taste in one's mouth.

However, Donald, I think Moose Drool as a beer name has them all beat.
It's probably just me.

Posted by: DarkoV on December 7, 2007 8:30 AM

I tasted Moose Drool Ale on a trip to Yellowstone a couple of years ago and brought back some for friends. Not a bad brew at all.

Another great beer name that caught my eye on my travels was Polygamy Porter (brewed by Wasatch Brew Pub in Park City Utah), which has the tagline "Why have just one".

Posted by: Rick on December 7, 2007 9:48 AM

Blackened Voodoo is a great brew, ST.

The great Arrogant Bastard and its brother brew, Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale, are both to be sipped, not swilled, as my girlfriend discovered last summer.

Donald, why does beer fly under your radar now? As an almost 50-something homebrewer, I find that our current age is a great one for beer lovers, with style variety enough for everyone. Quality beer is even making inroads at some of the snootier restaurants here in Boston!

My new favorite is Black Bear Brewing (Maine) Black Demon Stout, a fine, dusky brew that is a great split between the better qualities of Guiness (the Budweiser of stouts) and Samuel Smith's Imperial stout.

Posted by: Brutus on December 7, 2007 10:27 AM

My first reaction was to list three or four western brown ales that I prefer to Moose Drool. But -- oh God -- I havent had a single beer as good in over a month. I'm drinking friggin Hite right now, worse even than Coors. I paid goddamn 10,000 won for a lifeless Guiness a couple of weeks ago (suckered along with a few of my Korean friends). And some bastard has to mention Arrogant Bastard? Now I'm sitting here pondering Shakespeare Stout, Obsidian Stout, Boont Amber, Lagunitas IPA. Ah jeez, it's enough to me cry...

Posted by: J. Goard on December 7, 2007 11:00 AM

Favorite beer name: Bitter Woman Ale (with a fitting picture on the picture on label)

Posted by: Bradamante on December 7, 2007 12:26 PM

Brands like this tend to do two things: one, they appeal to the beer demographic of 21-34 beer drinkers, as pointed out, secondly, they signal that they are not the average Coors. People who like good beer refer to the offerings of the big breweries as "panther piss" or something similar. A name like Moose Drool makes a knowing nod to that tradition, and signals that the brewer gets it, and is not like that. Cheers!

Posted by: wph on December 7, 2007 6:33 PM

Spotted Cow is a somewhat popular and good Wisconsin beer. The brewery also has some beers called Fat Squirrel and Uff-da.

Capital Brewery , also a WI Brewery, has some smooth beers as well.

Posted by: Rtother on December 9, 2007 12:59 PM