« Some FvBlowhard Linkage | Main | Elsewhere »

October 04, 2007

Nutrition / Food

* Given how often scientists and nutritionists change their advice, Gary Taubes asks, why should we pay any attention to them at all? "Be skeptical," he writes.

A question that often occurs to me when public-health debacles arise: Why shouldn't we be able to sue the experts and organizations who hand out advice that proves to be destructive? Gary Taubes points out that tens of thousands of women have died -- died! -- due to misguided enthusiasm about hormone-replacement therapy. Another example: The high-carb / low-fat diet that respectable docs and organizations urged on us for years resulted in many people growing much fatter than they otherwise would have, and even developing diabetes. That's a lot of damage that our experts have inflicted on us.

I'm tempted to make a comparison between our nutrition- expertise industry and our architecture-and- urbanism-expertise industry ...

* A refreshing antidote to the above is Yummy or Yucky, a charmer of a new foodblog. Vanessa, the proprietor of the blog, manages to combine expertise about eating and cooking, a lot of personality, and writing flair -- yet she never loses her frankness about the infantile energies that are the basis for all food-pleasure. Sophisticated, yet in happy touch with the bodily and emotional basics -- that's a combo I always find delightful. I like reading Vanessa's food writing as much as I enjoy reading Calvin Trillin's, and that's saying a lot.

posted by Michael at October 4, 2007

Comments

Boy, I wholeheartedly agree with you there! Therapists, self-help, diet aids...the whole shebang. There'd be a whole lot less of it going on if they thought they could really be held accountable for, oh, y'know, It's one time that the Christian idea of Heaven and Hell appeals to me. If you ruin lives, and you can't be sued for everything you or children will ever have...you're goin' to Hell.

I feel somewhat strongly about this.

Posted by: annette on October 4, 2007 12:17 PM

Well sure, why not? I'm sure that now that the fast-food chains have cleaned up their act to avoid being sued for creating obese customers, the mobs led by lawyers (the worst kind of mobs I would think) need fresh blood.

Posted by: susan on October 4, 2007 12:43 PM

There's a fundamental issue at play here and that's that it's incomparably easier to get press for innovative and counterintuitive ideas. The basics of nutrition -- eat your fruits and vegetables, don't eat more than you burn, etc. -- have been well-understood for decades. That makes them boring and it's difficult to make money promoting them. Losing weight by stocking up on bacon, steak, and eggs, though? By golly, we've got a winning formula!

One other contributor to the problem is weekly and monthly magazines. Who wants to read an article about how you have to eat your fruits and vegetables and stay away from Oreos every week? Instead we read about a new study that showed (I'm making this up here) that magnesium contributes to muscle recovery or that eating lutefisk once a week keeps your heart healthy.

Finally, people like to be told what they want to hear. That's the only explanation I can think of for the unimaginable number of new articles that seem to come out every week telling us how chocolate has antioxidants in it or that coffee prevents Alzheimer's.

The problem, in conclusion, is that the media are for-profit. I'm not convinced that following an actual nutritionist's advice would have done you wrong at any point in the last half-century (save the margarine fiasco,) but following reporting on nutrition would almost certainly be a disaster.

Posted by: JewishAtheist on October 4, 2007 12:47 PM

"eat your fruits and vegetables" Please tell this to the Inuit, Eskimos and other First Nations of Canada that have a diet that is basically 100% Meat and Fat. Or the Masai and other tribes of Africa that get only Milk, Meat and BLOOD! Or tell the, oh, you get the idea. I ain't dissin' Fruit and Veg, but their role has been somewhat over-valued lately. I think that after Fat (and Cholesterol) became demonized and then Starchy and Sugary Carbs also got a whoopin', now people are not sure what to tell others so they "fall back" on Fruit and Veg.

Also, don't forget that many Fruits are very high in Sugars (albeit, All-Natural Sugars) which spike your Insulin and help you gain Body Fat. And, most Fruits tend to be Uni-Taskers in the Vitamin department. Relatively high in Minerals, but usually only providing one Vitamin. Whereas something like Liver or Eggs are jam-packed full of Vitamins.

Posted by: Ian Lewis on October 4, 2007 1:40 PM

I wanted to add one other thing. I am 32 years old, but I can still remmeber when Doctors advised their patients to cut out ALL Fat and Cholesterol. And Eggs were probably the most demonized food in North America.

Some time after that, new Research was coming out and so the Establishment let up a little and said that Mono-Unsaturated Fats (i.e. Extra Virgin Olive Oil) were not that bad for you and that we really needed to Avoid was Saturated Fat and "Bad Cholesterol". The "Good Cholesterol" was, well, not that bad.

I don't know how many people realize this, but more and more evidence is coming out in favor of Coconut Oil and other Coconut Products (i.e. Coconut Milk and dessicated Coconut) as being very healthy. Well, Coconut Oil is, BY FAR, the most Saturated of all the Saturated Fats. To provide some reference, Lard and Beef Tallow are about 40-48% Saturated, whereas Coconut Oil is 93% Saturated.

Also, now it turns out that that the Bad Cholesterol comes in two kinds: "Small and Hard" and "Large and Fluffy" (I am not making this stuff up, they literally refer to it as "Fluffy"). Well, now it seems that the Large and Fluffy Cholesterol may be good for us.

So, to recap, we were once told to avoid ALL Fat and Cholesterol, and now, in 2007, research is showing that their is good Fat (including Saturated Fat) and good Cholesterol. Oh, don't forget that we are advised to get more BACTERIA in our diet. Don't believe me, then stop eating Yogurt. When it says that it contains "Active or Live Cultures", what they mean is that it is teeming with Bacteria. Same with Kefir. Actually, Kefir has WAY more Bacteria than Yogurt.

But, should any of this bother you, this next statement might help. Many consider Mothers Milk to be the worlds most perfect food. Heck, it is the only food in the world made specifically to sustain Human Life. And Mothers Milk is very high in 3 things:
- Saturated Fat
- Cholesterol
- Bacteria

Michael, thank you for letting me get that off my chest. Whoo.

p.s. Oh, I forgot about the Eggs. Just Google Eggs Heart. I bet about half the articles will say that Eggs are either not that bad for you, or, wait for it, beneficial to a healthy heart. The fact that Free Range Eggs from Chickens that get to eat a lot of bugs and insects contain every Vitamin except Vitamin C may have something to do with it.

Posted by: Ian Lewis on October 4, 2007 1:59 PM

Annette -- Annette's on fire today! Always fun when that happens.

Susan -- I'm not a fan of lawsuit mania myself. But still ... Tens of thousdans of deaths ... Millions of people much more unhappy and unhealthy than they'd otherwise be. We ain't talkin' about an old lady spilling coffee on her lap here.

JA -- Yeah, what the press makes of all this (and how we take what the press feeds us) is certainly important. On the other hand, Taubes is arguing that the science and research procedures themselves are partly to blame -- that there's a lot that simply can't be known with a heckuva lot of certainty, and that the scientists and docs ought to be a lot more modest in the claims they make. So maybe there's that too.

Ian -- You're rockin', dude. I want some of whatever it was you and Annette ate this morning. Yeah, the fat thing is amazing, isn't it? Good fats, bad fat, more fats ... Soon we'll be learning about the virtues of lard. I mean, beyond "it helps make the best pie crust." Which is reason enough to permit yourself some lard, as far as I'm concerned.

General thought: What I sometimes find myself wondering about is how and why there even exists a semi-official health-tips industry. I mean, what is the federal government doing (and what is the AMA doing) sponsoring and endorsing crapola like the "food pyramid"? I'm all for research on epidemics and such. But why should the federal government get involved at all (I almost typed AT ALL) in questions like "should you eat more eggs? And less pasta?" Get the federal government out of such activities, sez I.

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on October 4, 2007 2:25 PM

"Soon we'll be learning about the virtues of lard"

You wanted it, you got it.

Unless you suplement your diet with Cod Liver Oil (which is amazing), Lard is your greatest source of Vitamin D.

So, that means, that Bacon and Bacon Fat is a tremendous source of Vitamin D, as well as, Most B-Vitamins, Essential Amino Acids and Phosphorus and Selenium. Also, it si higher in Mono-Unsaturated Fat than Saturated Fat if that thing bothers you. Which it shouldn't.

Also, you can buy a pound of All-Natural Leaf Lard (the best kind) for $1 and render it yourself. It will keep in the Fridge for many, many weeks. Compare that to Butter and you can see why it was so popular for so long.

And, for you Euro-Centric types, Pork and Pork products (like Lard) are the order of the day.

Posted by: Ian Lewis on October 4, 2007 2:38 PM

Bacon, here I come! But just because I'm that way, it's gonna be organic bacon.

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on October 4, 2007 3:35 PM

Michael (and others), you're right; this isn't some corporation trying to make money by coming up with a new gimmick. This is about guidelines set by government or credentialed institutions that research this data. People would like to believe they can trust the results of these studies.

I would think that the best track to take is nothing in excess, a bit of all, and keep it natural or at least, untainted by man-made chemicals.

Posted by: susan on October 4, 2007 4:14 PM

"I would think that the best track to take is nothing in excess"

Of course, that begs the question, "What is excess?"

When people ask me about Nutrition, and I go on one of my rants, they will often reply with something like, "Well, all things in moderation". So, if they were talking about alcohol, they would say that you should have nore more than 2 glasses of wine per night or no more than a bottle of beer per night. Something like that. But, when it comes to food, I ask what a moderate amount of Saturated Fat would be, "20 grams? 60 grams? One-Third of my Fat intake? One-Third of my caloric intake?". This simply brings a blank stare. They say to get a moderate amount of Saturated Fat, but they have absolutely no idea what that means.

Also, "keep it natural". I completely agree with you on this one. Which is why I only drink Raw Milk. However, many people upon agreeing to "All Natural" and hearing me say that, are shocked. Apparently, All-Natural doesnt apply to Milk. But, I am assuming they would never Pasteurize their Breast Milk (Don't laugh, a former Soviet country experimented with that only to get disgusting results).

Posted by: Ian Lewis on October 4, 2007 5:56 PM

Perennially one of the favorite issues of the right is tort reform. In rhetoric and suggested legislation this is most often presented as being about supposedly liberal trial lawyers lining their pockets (and those of their presumably leftie clients) by "frivolously" suing corporations for such unintended (?) consequences of corporate activity as poisoning local water supplies or selling products that turn out to cause cancer or other health problems. Individual or class actions suits against multi-national corporations for health issues that might be caused by their deliberate or negligent activities is, in this view, a bad thing, a drain on the economy and an unacceptable brake on the research and development of new products which are deemed greater overall goods than redress for injured individuals.

So now the suggestion is to make it easier to sue the FDA or diet book authors for advice that, even if based upon a good faith understanding of the best available knowledge of the moment, turns out to have flaws. Now there's a suggestion that, if acted upon, certainly will put a chill into public discourse on all sorts of health issues. Let's leave it all to Pfizer, Monsanto and the "free market" ... in this case "free" meaning without any control, oversight or redress for grievances ... while making it easier to go after "rogue" authors for suggesting possible alternatives or flaws in the status quo vis a vis diet and health.

Man, you just have to admire the sheer chutzpah of those behind THIS bit of nonsense!

Posted by: Chris White on October 4, 2007 7:12 PM

Susan -- If only they wouldn't make such a big deal out of their supposeed "objectivity" ...

Ian -- Eager to hear more about your raw milk habit. I tried it a few times and it was delicious -- ultra-tasty and rich, with all kinds of subtle notes and flavors that even good organic whole milk doesn't have. How'd you start drinking it? Do you find it has any benefits? I remember that Charlton Griffin drinks raw goat's milk, which sounds double-delicious to me, though I've never had the chance to try it ...

Chris -- I admire your gusto in attacking the tort-reform and corporate-shill crowd, but I marvel a bit at the way you seem to want to line me up beside them. I know nuttin' about tort reform -- it's an issue I've never looked into. And I'm as wary of big corporations and big corporate power as any other crunchy Edward Abbey buff. As for the matter at hand, aren't you being a wee bit dismissive of the depradations of the public-health establishment -- tens of thousands of deaths, to mention only the hormone-replacement snafu. That's a lot more deaths than we've taken in Iraq. If the lawsuit approach doesn't please, how would you prefer to call the public-health crowd to account?

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on October 4, 2007 7:37 PM

Yeah, I drink Raw Goat Milk all the time as well. I actually get most of my Raw Milk stuff in the form of Cheese. In Pennsylvania, it is actually fairly easy to get Raw Milk. Not as easy as California, but not too bad.

But, to answer your question, I got onto the Raw Milk stuff after I started reading about nutrition.

It is difficult for me to attest to the specific Health Benefits I may have gotten from Raw Milk, because I made other changes at the same time.
- Grass Fed Meats
- More Bacteria (i.e. Yogurt, Kefir, actually, Raw Milk Kefir)
- All-Natural Pork
- Raw Cream, Raw Butter
- Lots of Fat in my current Diet (i.e. Lard, Tallow, Suet, Butter, Coconut Oil)
- Raw Meats like Beef and Lamb
- Raw Egg Yolks
- Lots of Eggs in general.

oh, and lots and lots of "Variety Meats"
- Liver, THE Super Food
- Kidneys
- Heart
- Tripe
- Haggis, otherwise known as the greatest food in the world

This is basically Nina Planck's Real Food 101. Granted, I have neevr seen or read her book. But I am familiar with it (thanks to Michael Blowhard).

And I am sure that you here this from all sorts of people on new diets, but, I do not get sick anymore. Which actually means that I have not gotten sick in the 2 years that I have been onto this All-Natural stuff.

Oh, and in case the idea of any of these foods gross people out, let me give some quick tips on how to get them in your diets:
- Liver: Pate.
- Kidney: Steak and Kidney Pie.
- Heart: Home made Chicken Soup. Which means that most of you have already eaten heart (and the Coenzyme Q10 that comes with it)
- Tripe: Traditional Asian Soups. Beef tripe is common in Chinese Soups and Vietnamese Pho (Pho is Vietnamese for Soup).

Posted by: Ian Lewis on October 4, 2007 8:08 PM

"And I am sure that you here this from all sorts of people "

woops, here = hear

Posted by: Ian Lewis on October 4, 2007 8:44 PM

Ian - you ROCK DUDE!! I love everything and agree with everything you say. We are SOLD on coconut oil and you should TRY my Butter Baked Chicken - coated in coconut flour and baked in BUTTER!! It's the best and EVERYONE who has it raves over it.

Our diet consists of about 70% fat; 15-20% protein and the rest carbs (which isn't much). Not only has my husband gone OFF of his diabetic meds, but he's also off his cholesterol meds. I've lost almost 100lbs, my 15 year old daughter has lost almost 50lbs and is naturally controlling her high insulin levels.

Have you read any of Dr. Barry Groves stuff? AMAZING - I just know you'd love it.

I feel sorry for the people who are haters and can't READ THE BOOK FOR THEMSELVES. I can always tell who they are because they think it's #1 A diet book; #2 Don't know that he's given away a TON of them to doctors, nutritionists, etc. He said they'd shoot the messenger, but it's sound writing in this book. I can never understand why people can't just read something with an open mind. If people don't want to pay for it, than ask their library to have a copy of it (if they don't already) and borrow it for FREE!

Keep writing and keep educating!

Posted by: Yvonne M. on October 4, 2007 10:17 PM

Great post! Hey Ian, don't forget nuts in your menu! Nuts are high in good fats and tasty too.

Posted by: BTM on October 5, 2007 12:34 AM

Hey Yvonne, No, I am not familiar with Barry Groves. But, from what I have just seen, I think that he is British, which may be why I am not familiar.

However, being turned on to the wonders of fat has been a really amazing experience for me. For one, I can dive right into Real French Food without any guilt whatsoever. More Butter? Please. More Cream? Please. More Sauce? More Duck Fat? More Cheese? Yes, that sounds great. And cooking is a real treat.

Posted by: Ian Lewis on October 5, 2007 1:17 AM

While I am no fan of the right's take on tort reform, I do feel we as a society often go overboard seeking someone to blame (and sue) for everything that goes wrong in our own lives. Nothing is an accident and nothing is our own fault, we seem to want to believe someone is responsible for any harm that befalls us.

I am all for an individual whose primary care physician lead them to adopt a diet that in turn contributed to the development of diabetes being able to sue that doctor for malpractice. A woman whose physician advised hormone therapy who develops cancer should be able to sue as well. I think suing diet book authors or public health officials for offering general advice based on the current consensus of those in the field moves well beyond the point of logic.

Western medicine didn't figure out the need to sterilize surgical instruments until relatively recently. Leeches and bleeding were commonly used for various treatments as well. These practices were discontinued but recently some conventional medical practitioners have again embraced limited uses for leeches.

When first married my wife and I were the de facto household staff for the family of a thoracic surgeon who favored raw milk. At that time in the state where we lived it could only be obtained directly from the farm, it could not be sold in stores. Then it couldn't even be sold directly. The best evidence available to those in charge of public health at the time deemed raw milk an unacceptable risk due primarily to its link to tuberculosis. Raw milk is again being viewed as a healthy thing.

It is rare to find any unambiguous "facts" when it comes to health and especially diet. Individuals vary; many factors contribute to a given outcome. The best evidence of one moment becomes an old wives' tale of the next. If we opened avenues of legal recourse in such a way that, for example, diabetics could sue diet book authors for pushing high carb/low fat diets when that was the conventional wisdom of the day we go well beyond the logic of legal culpability. If, for example, I went back to raw milk again and contracted TB, should I be able to include Ian Lewis in a lawsuit or Two Blowhards for offering him a forum to expound on raw milk's virtues?

Posted by: Chris White on October 5, 2007 9:27 AM

"Hey Ian, don't forget nuts in your menu! Nuts are high in good fats and tasty too."

It's true that I don't get many Almonds, Pecans and Walnuts in my diet. And they are full of good Poly-Unsaturated Fats. It is one reason why I always like to get Pecan-Encrusted Salmon when I am out. Or, something like that. because I tend to not buy them when I am at the store. Good point.

"All I have to say about veggies and fruits is that they are good too, but in smaller quantities. Especially cruciferous vegetables. Its true what you say about the Masai and Eskimos, but humans are omnivores, and you could just as easily point out other cultures that have more cabs in them that thrive too."

Like I said, I am a HUGE fan of Fruit and Veg. But, again, I think that in these Schizophrenic Times they have become over-valued. Given too much focus because Doctors and Nutritionists are scared to focus on other things as well.

"So lots of natural fats, meats, nuts, some good veggies, small quants of fruit, and no refined sugar or grains. Plenty of variety. That's a winner!"

Agreed.

Posted by: Ian Lewis on October 5, 2007 12:17 PM

Ian -- That does all sound very Nina Planck-ish. Not getting sick sounds terrific. How's it affecting you otherwise? Weight, feelings, etc.

Yvonne -- So the low-carb thing is working well for you?

Chris -- I'm glad you made that distinction between you and the rightie tort-reform people! I'd have mistaken you for a Republican otherwise. Anyway, I'm with you maybe 80% of the way. As for the 20% ... The diff between Ian and, say, the AMA is that Ian has no official standing, let alone any power. The only weight behind what Ian says is Ian -- he's a private citizen making his way through life and yakking about it as he goes. What the AMA and the Heart Association and government agencies formulating stuff like the Food Pyramid say carries real weight -- in terms of what docs recommend, what schools serve, how food is created, packaged, presented and discussed ...

When thousands of people die and millions experience worse health than they otherwise would have because of what our official and semi-official experts do and advise, it seems a little ... I don't know, insufficient to say, "Gosh, cut 'em some slack, the experts were just doing what they thought was best at the time." You could say similar things about civil rights, Vietnam, urban renewal ... The people who enforced segregation, bombed SE Asia, and devastated our cities were, y'know, just doing what they thought was best at the time. Again: thousands of people have died and millions have had their lives adversely affected. "Good intentions" starts to look pretty lame in the face of that. And there is more than a bit of corruption and arrogance in a lot of this. Big pharma, doctors, big Ag, universities, campaign contributions ... It's not as if these factors haven't played a role in the advice we've been given over the years.

I agree, though, that what one can do about this is a puzzle. Just slap their wrists? Seems inadequate. Vote 'em out of office? Inadequate, plus many of these people are in unelected positions. A few lawsuits against book publishers for their bad diet books, for example, might be useful in terms of scaring them into somewhat more responsible behavior.

My real thought here is that 1) The government especially ought to get out of the advising-people-how-to-eat business, and confine its public-health activities to the basics of stuff like sewage, epidemics, drinking water, etc. 2) Outfits like the AMA and the Heart Association ought to get a whole lot more modest about how much they know, and how likely their advice is to turn out well. 3) We all ought to be constantly reminding each other that the experts aren't terribly objective, or even terribly expert. 4) We ought to give them hell in whatever way we can when we catch them being arrogant, corrupt, careless, or even just overeager. And 4) Thank heavens for curmudgeons, cranks, and reporters and such who remind us of how little the official class really knows, and how awry good intentions and expertise can go.

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on October 5, 2007 12:24 PM

Hi Chris, I can't talk too much about Tort Reform because I simply don't know enough. Nor do I think that we should be able to sue some Diet Book Author. The Author said what he had to say and we can take it or leave it.

But, when I am forced to listen to (Property Tax and Sales Tax Financed) Public School Teachers go on and on about the merits of whole grains and the evils of Sat Fat and Cholesterol, and then as an Adult I am FORBIDDEN from getting All-Natural Milk, well, yeah, I think that the Government should have to own up to it's actions.

Now, luckily, things are not so bad in Pennsylvania. But it many states it is. Yet, I don't see the governement banning Produce, even though it is BY FAR the most dangerous food in North America (Produce causes more illness than Meat and Milk combined). Nor do I see them banning Pasteurized Milk, even though it causes more illness than Raw Milk. I understand it can be a matter of scale, but still.

I have no choice in these matters. The government says "Sat Fat = BAD, Cholesterol = BAD, Real Milk = Bad" and have to take it. And there are real consequences.

Nowadays, Pigs are bred to be leaner than ever before. That means that they are being bred to have LESS Vitamin D. That is insane. But, the farmers are trying to supply a product that has less fat and less cholesterol.

But, I should probably count my blessings. In many other "enlightened" countries, it is far worse. Getting Raw Milk in the UK is very difficult. It is completely FORBIDDEN in Canada, where I am right now.

I should probably calm down a little and see that you have been focusing on the Diet Book Author Lawsuit factor. And, yes, I completely agree with you. But, sometimes, I wish that we could hold our Government responsible for it's actions.

Posted by: Ian Lewis on October 5, 2007 12:33 PM

"How's it affecting you otherwise? Weight, feelings, etc."

My weight can go up or down on a diet like this. Naturally, it all depends on how much I eat. The feelings, well, that has less to do with the All-Natural stuff and more to do with the Carbohydrates. I am very Carb-Sensitive which means that after a bowl of Pasta, I crash. And I crash hard. I need a really good nap afterwards.

And that Sugar-Rush/Crash cycle (Yes, all Carbohydrates enter your bloodstream as sugars) can have a real effect on you.

So, I would say that have a Diet focused on Fat has a real stabilizing effect on my mood and, especially, energy.

Posted by: Ian Lewis on October 5, 2007 12:39 PM

Michael - Yes, it's working very well for us. I will tell you. We have a business and I work probably 80-100hrs a week, so I'm SUPER busy. Eating a low-carb diet requires that I cook at least 2x a day. REAL food. Not a lot of shortcuts when you're eating this way. At least if you want more than eggs and steaks. Hahahaha (isn't that what most people think low-carbers eat?).

I am a foodie by nature and LOVE variety in my diet. I've tried more interesting vegetables than I ever thought I would in my lifetime. Thankfully my 15 year old is FINALLY past the "anything I've never tried is gross" stage and will try a LOT of things now. She'll even try them a few times before totally "hating" something. It helps that we go to DisneyWorld a lot and we eat at some of the fine dining restaurants there (we live in a small town with NO fine dining establishments anywhere near us). Those restaurants tend to use new and "exciting" ingredients. So she starting eating unusual things there and it's carried on at home. She also knows that she doesn't want to have to deal with the obesity issues I have or all the "other" problems I have from having PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) or being Insulin Resistant. It's like she just "got it" and realized she had to eat better than everyone else. Even if it's "not fair". Wish I had gotten that earlier in life! I had to PUSH the doctors to get her tested. They kept telling me she's still growing, we don't need to test her. BULL is what I say.

Being so busy means we can't eat a lot of "fast food" - which isn't the best for us. But that's been the hardest thing to adjust to.

Our house/kitchen is completely different than most people's as well. Very little fruit (blueberries, strawberries and apples in the house at present), Carbquick and Carbalose flour (low carb versions of Bisquick and white flour) - coconut oil and cocount flour, almond meal, NotSugar, NotStarch (aids to give the mouth feel of sugar in baked good and cornstarch) and tons of meat, eggs and fresh veggies and low-carb tortillas. Absolutely NO junk, no cereal, one loaf of lower carb bread (that normally 1/2 gets thrown away), no chips or pretzels or convenience foods. OK, wait, I take that back, we have Kraft Mac and Cheese, but take out the noodles and replace them with our low-carb pasta of choice - Dreamfields. It cost me a small fortune to get this all started, but now, it's pretty convenient to just replace things as they get used up.

So it's working for us, but it's definately more work!

Posted by: Yvonne M. on October 8, 2007 1:25 PM

Free Razr plus free shipping with activated service plan.Choose from AT&T, Nextel, T-Mobile, Verizon, and more.

Click here