« Women in Hollywood. Or Maybe Having Left Hollywood ... | Main | Timing and the Digging of Pop Culture »

April 29, 2007

Kirsten Has Some Advice

Kirsten Dunst thinks the world would be a better place if everyone toked up on a regular basis. Is her agent yelling at her right now for making this statement? And was Carl Sagan really the world's biggest pothead?

Meanwhile, say hello to the iBong, the brainchild of a couple of computer geeks from -- where else? -- Austin, Texas.

posted by Michael at April 29, 2007

Comments

At least "America" doesn't have to keep its mouth closed when it smiles, Snaggletooth!

And as for Carl Sagan: billions and billions of brain cells puffed away.

Posted by: ricpic on April 29, 2007 8:31 PM

The problem with pot is that it cures boredom. When I was young, I found boredom was a motivator for me to read, to study history, to think. In a certain way, I needed to be bored to find my bliss, my skills in life. Give me a bong hit, and I'll tell you about the literary value of the "Munsters," -- by the way that theme song really does it with power when you're stoned.

I also think weed zaps some of your aggression which translates to a loss of ambition. I would also imagine that the guys on the "Loveline" show were right when they used to say that dumb people have to be careful with drugs because they are already coming to the table at a disadvantage.

Being somewhat easy to hide the use of weed means that kids can do it anytime, unlike booze, so that presents a problem.

The plus side would be that we all need to get out of our heads sometime. I've always thought the doctor should give me a prescription for some kind of high that I could get say 35 times a year. Something euphoric but not too damaging.
sN

Posted by: sN on April 29, 2007 9:52 PM

Sounds like it's time to remake "Up in Smoke", dude!

Posted by: Friedrich von Blowhard on April 29, 2007 11:44 PM

I've always thought she looked--and often acted--sweetly stoned. Not a bad thing in a cute girl!

Posted by: Steve on April 30, 2007 2:32 AM

Somewhat along that theme, Stephen King once wrote a short story about an obsessive genius-type (narrated by the genus's merely above-average IQ brother) who discovered a small town has the most peaceful population in the world, even when controlled for ethinicity, age, economics, etc. He discovered that some chemical in the water made those people gentle, and then proceeded with his world peace project: he distills that chemical, mass-produces it, and distribute it worldwide via a volcano explosion, if I recall correctly.

The narrator too late discovers that the chemical, present in that town's water system in trace quantities only, in fact causes Alzheimer's disease, and in now present in concentrated quantity throughout the planet. And eternal world peace was upon us all.

Posted by: PA on April 30, 2007 9:21 AM

RE: PA's comment, that short story is called the "The End of the Whole Mess" from Nightmares & Dreamscapes. I'm surprised that no movies have been made from that collection considering that six of the stories from Night Shift have...

Posted by: Ed from Malabar on April 30, 2007 8:24 PM

If the account presented at http://skeletallightning.blogspot.com/2007/03/carl-sagan-drugs-devastating-insights.html is accurate, it appears that Carl was indeed a bit of a stoner:

In an anonymous essay he wrote for Grinspoon's book Marihuana Reconsidered Sagan explained that he first tried pot around 1961, "a time of awakening of my social consciousness and amiability."

In the essay he describes a wide variety of experiences and observations he had under the influence of pot. He explains that marijuana increased his appreciation and understanding of art and music, as well as his sensitivity to tastes, aromas, and sexual pleasure. He also describes how marijuana led to insights "on a wide range of social, political, philosophical and human biological topics."

"There is a myth about such highs," wrote Sagan, "that the user has an illusion of great insight, but it does not survive scrutiny in the morning. I am convinced that this is an error, and that the devastating insights achieved when high are real insights; the main problem is putting those insights in a form acceptable to the quite different self that we are when we're down the next day. Some of the hardest work I've ever done has been to put such insights down on tape or in writing.

"I am convinced that there are genuine and valid levels of perception available with cannabis (and probably with other drugs) which are, through the defects of our society and our educational system, un-available to us without such drugs."

Ann Druyan, Sagan's former wife, is a director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

Posted by: Friedrich von Blowhard on May 1, 2007 1:41 AM

Wow! Sagan was even fuller of it than I thought he was.

Posted by: ricpic on May 1, 2007 9:23 PM