« Saving Time | Main | Dig, Patch or Flatten?: Alaskan Way Viaduct »

May 22, 2006

Bagatelles

I said I was gonna get hitched and, by golly, I did!

Cake eating - 3a.jpg
Let Him Eat Cake.
Here is The Bride trying to get the fussy eater to munch some wedding cake (I didn't offer much resistance).
[Photo by Elizabeth Pittenger]

Despite a rainy forecast, we had sunny weather. But it wasn't very hot, plus there was a strong breeze, so Kirkland, Washington's Woodmark Hotel at Carillon Point (on the shore of Lake Washington) kept the flaps of the tent down -- hence the yellow hue to the picture.

posted by Donald at May 22, 2006

Comments

How beautiful! I do love a good wedding picture on a Monday evening. Congratulations!

Posted by: Alice on May 22, 2006 9:05 PM

Hearty congratulations! And I love that the proceedings have a golden hue—it augurs well for the future.

Posted by: communicatrix on May 22, 2006 9:37 PM

Congratulations to the bride and groom for the courage to take the last step.
Hey! Where's the traditional pic where the pictured slice is spread like a fine coat of mud onto the groom's deliriously happy face?

Posted by: DarkoV on May 22, 2006 9:52 PM

Congratulations, Donald! Does the bride have a name or does she just go by Mrs. Pittenger? She's cute as a bug and the sleeves on that dress are inspired! Is that a chocolate wedding cake? You look "pretty in pink" but studious. In Montana the unpleasant custom is for the bride to offer cake from her hand and at the last minute to smash it on the groom's mouth.

I have a feeling that Kirkland is so much more developed now than it was when I served the Unitarians there in 1985-86, that I wouldn't be able to find anything. It was an interesting town, but building up quickly.

I was only an interim minister, meant to clean up any leftovers and prepare for a new start, so I told them we were "only having an affair" and not married. In the end, we wished we could marry but the rules were against it.

I'm glad you don't have to pay any attention to such nonsense. May you enjoy every happiness!

Prairie Mary

Posted by: Mary Scriver on May 22, 2006 11:09 PM

You both look lovely. Congratulations!
[And wearing pink was sure gutsy]

Posted by: Tat on May 23, 2006 12:01 AM

Yesireebob! Pink tie and lapel flower! That was a manly call! Congratulations and may your marital bliss surpass the obvious perfection of that cake you were eating.

Posted by: Charlton Griffin on May 23, 2006 8:21 AM

Congratulations. Very cute. But the Blowhards are these mysterious creatures---they use pseudonyms, they never publish photos of themselves. Here you are, using your own name, showing us pics of you---you are being entirely too straightforward about your life, here! Not anywhere near neurotic enough to be a Blowhard and disaffected Ivy grad, really.

Posted by: annette on May 23, 2006 8:50 AM

Lovely bride, Donald! Did she pick out that tie and flower combo? Please tell me she did.

Congrats and many years of bliss to you both.

Posted by: Charlton Griffin on May 23, 2006 9:11 AM

Congratulations!

Posted by: look on May 23, 2006 9:51 AM

Please allow me to add my congratulations to the chorus.

I have to ask though, why other commenters are discussing the groom's appearance. The wedding day is the bride's day. Paying attention to anyone else is prohibited by federal law (Title 18, USCS, Section 2381).

And may I say that she looks radiant?

8-)

Posted by: Doug Sundseth on May 23, 2006 11:16 AM

Thanks for sending me the link to your blog. The picture is charming. Here's wishing you and Nancy many years of marital bliss!

Susan Z

Posted by: Susan Ziemba on May 23, 2006 1:09 PM

Thank you for all those good wishes.

Sue Ziemba mentions that the bride's name is Nancy. Sue knows this because we were in high school together and are on the 50th reunion committee. Nancy was a grade behind us. I admired her from afar, but was too shy to speak to her. Ditto in college, but by that time she was dating (and later married) yet another classmate of mine. Nancy and I got together at the 45th reunion of my class.

Yes, she'll be Mrs. Pittenger because that is her choice. (I said I didn't want her to keep her old married name, but either her maiden name or mine would be okay.)

As for Annette's remarks about 2Blowhards names, Michael and Friedrich were the original Blowhards and took pseudonyms for a (good) reason that might be clarified to our general readership someday. A couple years or so ago Friedrich had to cut back on his blogging for business reasons, so Michael recruitred a couple others to help take up the slack. I am the most recent Blowhard, going full-time last fall. I use my own name because I went from commenter to guest-blogger to full-time, so there was no point in assuming a disguise when I was already in plain sight.

Now for the pink tie. The wedding is probably the only time in my life I'll be seen in one. Nancy ordered scads of pink flowers, and got the happy idea that all the guys associated with the wedding had to have pink ties to go with all those flowers including the ones on the lapels. I agreed to wear the pink tie provided that she would buy the thing. So off we went to Nordstrom, and that was that.

Besides, the role of the groom is to make the bride look good. And keep her happy.

Cake-wise, the center part was vanilla and satellite cakes were chocolate. As it happened, we cut a chocolate one.

Posted by: Donald Pittenger on May 23, 2006 1:48 PM

Congratulations! I think the pink tie and boutineer look quite good.

Posted by: claire on May 23, 2006 2:07 PM

What a charming couple! My warmest congratulations.

Posted by: Alec on May 23, 2006 2:08 PM

Wonderful to see such a handsome couple! Best wishes to you both from Down Under!

Posted by: Aussie Ex-pat on May 23, 2006 4:55 PM

Congrats on behalf of the Gene Expression delegation!

Posted by: Agnostic on May 23, 2006 5:59 PM

All the best!

Posted by: Jonathan on May 23, 2006 8:18 PM

I'd like to add my congratulations, too. Blessings on your life together.

Posted by: mr tall on May 23, 2006 8:45 PM

Many happy wishes for the new couple!

A real photo to boot, although I might have preferred a glass of bubbly!

Posted by: Cowtown Pattie on May 23, 2006 9:43 PM

I expect to see that pink tie at the RHS 50th! Thanks for sharing your bliss; may it continue as mine has for 23 years! Ginny Swenson Dickerson

Posted by: Ginny Dickerson on May 23, 2006 10:35 PM

I'm glad to see you've grasped the essentials of a happy marriage so quickly. It augurs well for the future.

Best of fortune.

Posted by: Friedrich von Blowhard on May 24, 2006 7:40 AM

My heartiest congratulations! As a new bride myself, I fully endorse finding the exactly right person late in life -- there's a bittersweetness to it that makes it all the more wonderful (like extra-fine chocolate).

All the best to you and your lovely bride.

Posted by: missgrundy on May 24, 2006 2:36 PM

Great news, Don! As a big fan of marriage, I always feel a twinge of pleasure when someone who knows what he's doing enters the club. From the photograph, I would say you are a very fortunate guy indeed.

Posted by: David on May 24, 2006 7:12 PM

Congrats! You both look lovely, yellow tint or not.

Alas, now I want to eat cake fro breakfast, but that is another matter entirely.

Let him eat cake indeed! Huzzah!

Posted by: introspectre on May 27, 2006 6:34 AM