« Elsewhere | Main | Twist or Press? »

December 11, 2005

Holiday Birthdays

Not long ago in a comment, Michael mentioned that he had a birthday coming up "in a couple of weeks" which, if my math is halfway correct, means his birthday must be pretty close to Christmas.

My sister is a similar case, having been born December 28th. My parents made sure her birthday was properly celebrated, but there was nothing they could do to have it be anything other than an also-ran occasion. In adulthood I annually run a serious risk of forgetting to make sure she gets a birthday card from me: There are distractions having to do with thinking to buy it in the first place and further distractions related to getting it mailed in time.

Then there is The Fiancée's birthday, which falls on or about Thanksgiving Day.

And possibly worst of all is my own birthday, October 31st -- better-known as Halloween.

The upside is that the day is easy to remember. The downside was mostly a childhood thing. Besides tiresome jokes about being a "ghost" or "pumpkin" and such, there was the problem of my birthday party. Unless it was on a weekend, my party had to be squeezed in between school dismissal time and trick-or-treating, which usually meant that my pals would bail from the party as soon as the cake and ice cream were eaten. [Sigh.]

posted by Donald at December 11, 2005

Comments

Mine's the 27th of December. It's never been a big deal. Usually by that time, I'm all celebrated out and dont give a rat's patoot if someone remembers or not.

And since I'm the only baker in the household, I usually skip the cake and make myself a batch of brandy laced fudge instead.

Posted by: Deb on December 12, 2005 9:16 AM

I guess I was lucky. My birthday never conflicted with Christmas - namely because it's on June 26, which is just about as far from Christmas as you can possibly get :)
Come to think of it, the timing of my birthday provided a sort of double benefit when I was a child, as it fell just about when school would let out for the summer.

Posted by: Peter on December 12, 2005 9:41 AM

Donald, your b-day is same as my ex's.
After moving to US he found himself in situation you described: guests rushing from his party to the parade etc.
May be you should make it a rule to time your abroad trips for the end of October? You'll be the center of attention as you deserve.

Posted by: Tatyana on December 12, 2005 9:50 AM

My birthday was perfectly placed. (Thanks Mom!) Just next to Columbus Day means I got a long weekend off from school to celebrate it. (Thanks Italians!) Also, it inaugurated the holiday streak of Halloween, Thankgiving, and Christmas. (Thanks Pagans!) So my calendar read presents, fake blood, gluttony, then presents again.

The problem with this three month orgy was it made the rest of the year seem dull. Barring Easter egg hunts - and really, who likes them? - it wasn't until our July trip to the beach that I had any fun again.

Posted by: Brian on December 12, 2005 11:10 AM

Mine usually falls on Memorial Day weekend--which is another kind of drag, as there's then nobody around with whom to celebrate! I have 3 friends born on Xmas, however.

Posted by: winifer skattebol on December 12, 2005 2:08 PM

I was born December 24. Anytime, I mention this, I get the usual Christmas Baby comments. They also ask me if I get all my presents. I am living in China now, teaching english, and whenever they learn my birthdate, the same comments and questions come up. I cannot escape it!!!

Posted by: Andis Kaulins on December 13, 2005 3:41 AM

My brother was the Christmas baby in our house, with his birthday bumping along on December 26 like a caboose. In contrast, my birthday is in June, a properly secular month where my birthday stood out appropriately from the surrounding emptiness. Heh, heh.

Of course, I guess that explains why he used to beat me up so much, huh?

Posted by: Friedrich von Blowhard on December 13, 2005 10:01 AM

I was born on April 4, a date which offered much relief to my mother, who was terrified I'd be an April Fool. (Yes, I might be anyway, but not officially so!). She thought that was possibly the worst birthday imaginable. However my family is populated with holiday-birthdays: My dad is 3 days after Valentine's Day, my mother's often fell on Mother's Day, one brother was right after Christmas and the other was right by Flag Day. Well, OK, I admit the last one is rather obscure as "holiday." Actually, I might just get a fit of sibling resentment---just how come he didn't wind up on a holiday anyway?? Oh well. He's older than me, and my arrival foisted "middle child" status on him, so that's my revenge.

Posted by: annette on December 15, 2005 11:16 AM

I was born on April 20. Sometimes it is on Easter. My cousin is quite close to the 4th of July, and my other cousin is within 3 days of Christmas.

Posted by: Erica on December 26, 2005 10:54 AM