« Las Vegas, City of NOISE | Main | Mambo Bomb-o »

November 28, 2005

Most Costly Golf Shot Ever?

It was a good swing -- nice rotation, decent head speed, a satisfying impact. But instead of following its usual slicey route, my shot sailed left, then further left, then around a distant copse of trees. For one of the only times in my life, I'd hit a hook off the tee. How'd that happen?

As I rounded the cluster of trees in search of my errant drive, I saw a woman standing in her backyard, just the other side of a small fence. She was holding a golf ball and looking at me. "Is this yours?" she asked. My drive, it turns out, had embedded itself in one of the glass panes of her porch door. Really, she was very pleasant about it. God knows I couldn't have been more sheepish and apologetic.

The upshot:

I'm thinking of framing that bill, enshrining it as a kind of anti-trophy.

Are there visitors who have hit golf shots that have cost them more than $154? Sigh: For the money my one hooked drive cost me, I could have played an entire round of golf at a fancy golf club. I Googled "most costly golf shot ever" but learned nothing.

posted by Michael at November 28, 2005

Comments

Oh, heck I read about the most costly shot ever in a book called A Good Walk Spoiled; it seems it involved someone dropping from first to third in one of those high paying majors. If I had the book available I would look it up.

Posted by: kent on November 28, 2005 7:31 PM

It seems most unfair for you to have to pay for their dumbassery of building a house with unprotected glass next to a teebox.

Posted by: Scott Chaffin on November 28, 2005 7:56 PM

Materials-to-labor ratio 1:4 sounds about right in today construction market prices. I wouldn't be surprised if the glazier was a union member.

What the hell is energy surcharge?

Posted by: Tatyana on November 28, 2005 8:22 PM

The Fiancée lives on a golf course and gets lots of golf balls in her swimming pool and flower beds, but none to my knowledge has hit her or Phoebe the cat.

I'll check with her to find out if she's had any broken windows and, if any, how much the repair bills were.

Posted by: Donald Pittenger on November 28, 2005 9:42 PM

It's always struck me as a little silly to smuck a little ball around with a fancy stick and then follow it down a big, well mown field for several housr. Now it's expensive too....

Maybe you should look for a sport where the potential for property damage is a little less.

Posted by: Deb on November 28, 2005 9:53 PM

Kent -- Scary to think of how much rides on some the putts and chip shots that the pros make, isn't it? Those guys/gals must have nerves of something more than steel.

Scott -- Now that you've got me thinking that way, I'm considering calling my lawyer. After all, what was she thinking, putting plate glass in the way of my drive?

Tatyana -- Energy surcharge seems to be some zany California tax. "Surcharge" is a nice way to disguise "tax," don't you think?

Donald -- I can semi-see living on a golf course. Very pretty landscapes, after all. All those whizzing golfballs hit by duffers like me though must make life hazardous.

Deb -- It is a silly thing to spend time doing, isn't it? I wonder if it's partly the silliness of it that attracts men. Nothing we like better than trying to get really good at something entirely useless.

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on November 28, 2005 11:34 PM

YOU WERE IN CALIFORNIA AND DIDN'T CALL!?!

Hmph.

Serves you and that lady right.

Posted by: communicatrix on November 29, 2005 1:16 AM

For most golfers, the most costly golf shot they ever hit was their first good one, that satisfying smack that kept them from giving up this stupid game the first time they tried it. For quite a few people, the lifetime bill could come to six figures.

Posted by: Steve Sailer on November 29, 2005 3:11 AM

Mr. Sailer brings up a very good point and the main reason I stay away from all golf courses. I have enough problems self-deluding myself into purchasing books and cd's without having to deal with the exquisite self-immolation that is the game of golf. Having friends who are hooked is enough of a prohibitive to keep me far, far away.

Posted by: DarkoV on November 29, 2005 9:33 AM

Okay, I checked with TF and she reports three broken windows in the 18 or so years she's lived there.

In every case, she was away at the time of the impact. And NO golfer left a note or offered to compensate her.

Posted by: Donald Pittenger on November 29, 2005 9:40 AM

As Sir Winston Churchill said, "A curious sport whose object is to put a very small ball in a very small hole with implements ill designed for the purpose."

From my own experience I must say it rivals nicotine as one of the most addictive (and expensive) pursuits I have ever taken up.

Posted by: Rick Coencas on November 29, 2005 10:07 AM

While I like the Churchill quote, I prefer the Twain:

"Golf is a good walk spoiled."

And I've had enough spoiled walks to know.

That said, from the bill, it looks like you can count yourself lucky that you only broke one small light rather than a 3' x 4' triple-pane window. I suspect that would have been rather more expensive.

As for me, in spite of my truly execrable swing, I never broke anything when golfing. The secret, I think, is to golf at courses that don't have houses lining the fairways; had there been such, I'd certainly have hit them.

Posted by: Doug Sundseth on November 29, 2005 1:17 PM

The one and only time I went golfing (around age 16), a party of four hit the deck when I was forced to drive because people were waiting behind us. The ball would've missed them by a foot if they'd stayed standing, but I wouldn't have taken the chance either.

I still enjoy driving ranges though.

Posted by: claire on November 30, 2005 5:01 PM

"sir" charges are because you are such a gentleman and elvira was such a lady and your shot was something else.
stay away from elvira's house!
G.

Posted by: geo. on December 2, 2005 9:05 AM

My brothers tell me the hardest part in golf is stealing the golf cart that you can't afford to rent (hey, poor college students).

Posted by: rmark on December 2, 2005 1:33 PM