« News Habits of the Young | Main | Blair Tindall on Classical Music »

September 16, 2005

Group Characteristics 6: I'm So Gay

Neil Kramer admits that, despite being a red-blooded straightguy, he is a fan of "All My Children" and of figure skating competitions. Neil goes so far as to risk his straight-guy credentials entirely by hinting that he likes showtunes too.

I'm going to take Neil's very brave posting as a challenge to straight guys everywhere to 'fess up to a few habits or tastes that aren't Maxim-endorsed and ultrastraight. Enough with the squinty-eyed and laconic chitchat about your fondness for poker, gadgets, starlets, cars, boobs, and barbecue. Too easy. The time has come to volunteer a little bit of your softer side. (Oops, I just made a few assumptions about straight guys and gay guys ...)

OK, me first.

• Though there are few more surefire ways of making me miserable than by taking me to a musical, I think "Gypsy" is pure genius.

• I enjoy using the word "fabulous" from time to time.

• I'm a huge Bette Midler fan. It's not like I'll sit through her bad movies or listen to her CDs. But I often find her hilarious and touching. And I do love the way she performs that song "The Rose."

Who out there is man enough to volunteer some gay-nesses of his own?

posted by Michael at September 16, 2005

Comments

Doesn't the word "fabulous" actually mean "about what you'd expect?"

Every time somebody tells me that I did something "fabulous," I feel like I've been given a very subtle stab in the back.

On of the characteristics of gay (male) culture, is the belief that we are all sort of interchangeable types. Witness the various fashion cliches lampooned by the Village People.

Thus, if somebody tells me that a song I've just sung is "fabulous," I feel as if what they really said is:

"Oh, another one of those types of songs. Yeah, I've heard it before. You do it just the way everybody else does it."

Posted by: Shouting Thomas on September 16, 2005 1:56 PM

In "Sleepless in Seattle" when Tom Hanks and the kid went back up to the deck of the Empire State Building and saw Meg Ryan standing there...I wept. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I WEPT!

Posted by: very anonymous on September 16, 2005 2:08 PM

I love the comedian Kathy Griffin and even watched her reality show on Bravo. That counts, right? Oh, and I like musicals.

Posted by: Bryan on September 16, 2005 2:14 PM

About the only ones on my list are I like both Barbara Streisand's and Cher's singing. Oh, and I'm a cat person, too. I like cat's typical independence punctuated by their utter insistence for immediate affection on demand (maybe because it reminds me of women I love). Dogs, though cool, can annoy me with their kind of dunderheaded slavitude (yes, I know that's not a real word) and the need to constantly be let outside. Then back in. Then out again. Sheesh.

Other than that, your list of "poker, gadgets, starlets, cars, boobs, and barbecue" is about right, except that you forgot beer. And stuff that blows up real good.

Posted by: Yahmdallah on September 16, 2005 2:55 PM

Hmmm.. Where to begin?

I know most of the Disney musical repertoire ("Lion King" and earlier) by heart.

Although I have never rented or bought the movie on my own, I have gotten misty eyed every time I have seen Anne of Green Gables.

I am incredible moved my Emily Dickinson love poetry. (not THAT gay, but definitely not very macho)

I once owned the Titanic soundtrack.

Posted by: Peter on September 16, 2005 3:31 PM

Thinking of my own deficiencies, I would admit to a total (and I mean total) lack of interest in anything having to do with sports. I don't even know if the Houston teams are in first place or last place, or whatever.

Also, I was a big fan of Judy Garland after reading the story of her tragic life. Only later did I hear she became some sort of gay icon. And gosh darn it, Elton John is just damn great.

Posted by: Robert Nagle on September 16, 2005 3:45 PM

I'm a twenty-three year old male. Something inside me tells me that I should not be admitting this stuff, but here goes: My favorite musical is Robert Leonard's The Great Ziegfield -- all three hours of it. William Powell's superior acting ability and the eye candy of Myrna Loy were wonderful. But it was the sheer magnitude and ostentatiousness of the dance numbers that hooked me.

On the weekdays before my classes start, I hang out at the university sports complex and watch the figure skaters practice their routines. I tell my friends I do it because I like watching beautiful girls in tight spandex dance around on ice (that is one reason). What I don't tell them is that I am absolutely captivated by the skater's routines.

Whoo. Okay. I just checked and, as far as I know, I'm still straight.

Posted by: Markus Barca on September 16, 2005 3:51 PM

Once, I bought a book of Oscar Wilde quotes and an opera CD in the same day, and thought, "Gosh, how gayer could I get?!"

I like making and drinking tea. And I like pictures of bunnies, and puppies (or cute adult dogs, like pugs).

I don't watch pro sports on TV, except perhaps during finals; I do enjoy seeing sports live, however. And that reminds me - one of my buddies has seasons tickets to both the philharmonic orchestra and the professional lacrosse team; I've been to both with him. Why not?

Posted by: Anonymous Straightguy on September 16, 2005 4:02 PM

Very anonymous -- I can see why you signed yourself that way. That's a brave admission!

Bryan -- "Musicals"? Just plain old "musicals"? How about titles? And how about musicals where guys wear tight pants and pretend to be gang members or cowboys, and dance a lot? Do you like those musicals too? Now that really would be a confession.

Yahmdallah -- I love the way you shrug off liking Streisand and Cher, as though liking Streisand and Cher is nothing! In fact, I think you may be the winner here so far ...

Peter -- ... Although, I dunno, knowing much of "The Lion King" by heart is certainly in competition. Hey, has anyone else run aross the phenomenon of "furries," people who sexually like dressing up as animals? Is that weird or what? But is it gay? Life is so complicated...

Robert -- Houston has sports teams? Who knew? Did you realize that early on in his career there was a time -- OK, a very brief time, but still -- when few people realized Elton was gay? And when he wasn't advertising it either? Strange, no?

Markus -- That moment when you can hear that "something inside" that's telling you you shouldn't admit something is an interesting one, isn't it? I wonder how much of a straight boy's life is taken up with learning how not to be gay. I remember the first summer I moved to NYC, it was back in the West Village (if you know what I mean) in the pre-AIDs days (ditto). And it was a hot summer, and I wanted some exercise. So I put on gym shorts, running shoes and headed out barechested, just as I'd been doing for years on school campuses. Barely made it back to the apartment alive -- not that I'm cute, but I'd evidently been sending out "chase after me" signs to the area gays. Terrifying. But a very effective "what not to do" learning opportunity.

Anonymous Straightguy -- Why not, indeed? Actually, one of the more perplexing things about being interested in the arts in America for a straightguy is that it all seems so gay, at least at first. (And of course much of it is gay.) But an interest in tea, good food, beauty, pleaure of any but the roughest kind ... It seems so gay. Interesting to visit some other countries and learn that being interested in the arts doesn't have to automatically mean gay. All self-respecting Frenchmen are picky about esthetics -- food and wine and how their women look, at a minimum. In fact, they make it a point of macho pride. Hmm, maybe that's what we ought to do here -- make digging the arts a point of macho pride. Look at our friends who don't dig the arts and sneer at them for being unmanly...

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on September 16, 2005 4:20 PM

Red wine and conversation
Piano bars
Favorite movie: All That Jazz
An intimate knowledge of the wifeís martial aids -- she's brandishing it
Show tunes

Posted by: Matt on September 16, 2005 4:21 PM

I can't tell one sport from another, yet I can sing any tune from The Music Man upon being awakened from a deep slumber. Oh, and Busby Berkeley is a genius.

But I seem to remember back in the seventies it was almost impossible to be gay. (Without, you know, actually being gay I mean.) In grade school we were shown endless documentaries about football players who did ballet and women who fought fires. Mister Rogers interviewed men who were nurses and girls who were cowboys. Traditional gender roles, it was implied, are an oppressive myth. Free your mind. Unisex, baby!

But now something has changed. The slightest variation from those roles is prima facie evidence of queerocity, and any protest is proof of guilt. That chick in the toolbelt? Lesbian! That guy who reads poetry? Queer as night! Abe Lincoln's gay 'cause he had a roommate. Mark Twain's gay 'cause he shared a bed. Shakespeare's gay 'cause it's in the text. Garbo? Dietrich? Earhart? Don't make me laugh! Everybody is double checking everybody, and the slightest slip-up means instant damnation.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: Brian on September 16, 2005 4:24 PM

I noticed a long time ago that I enjoy attending musicals tremendously, just sitting there with a happy look on my face for three hourse, but then I don't think about them afterwards much. On the other hand, I don't enjoy playing golf anywhere near as much, but I can't stop thinking about golf, especially that least gay, least feminine of all art forms, golf course architecture.

Posted by: Steve Sailer on September 16, 2005 4:54 PM

Michael - C'mon. Who can resist the tacky pleasures of "Gypsies, Tramps and Theives"?

Posted by: Yahmdallah on September 16, 2005 5:55 PM

I just wanted to comment on the staggering coincidence of finding another fanatic of Great Ziegfeld on this thread. That wedding cake number from that film still gives me shivers. And when 94 year old Oscar winner Luise Rainier showed up on the 2004 Oscar ceremony stage in that retrospective look at Oscar winners, I was in tears! (Fun Fact: I think the only person to win best actor for 2 consecutive years was Tom Hanks; the only woman to do so was Luise Rainier).

Ziegfeld is not a perfect movie; it is somewhat dated, but for a 1930's musical, it can't be beat, except perhaps for Golddiggers of 1933.

To be on topic for a moment, could it be that one thing artsy fartsy heteros share with gays is a tendency to collect baubles and obsess over them. Then again, straight men go ape about guns and lawnmowers, so there goes that point.

Posted by: Robert Nagle on September 16, 2005 5:57 PM

I feel really gay now, because I don't have any "softer side" traits that I think people would probably consider gay. Silk boxers? Are they gay? A strong preference for shorts over long pants? Maybe I'm a bear.

Posted by: Scott Chaffin on September 16, 2005 6:37 PM

Okay,

I like stuffed animals. I wouldn't say that my bedroom is obvessively loaded with them, but even the four or five really freak some people out for a late-twenties bachelor.

I like musicals, too, but doubtfully in the way much of the gay community likes them. I like the songcraft, especially the consistent attention to lyrics that has not been demanded of most popular music since the advent of rock-and-roll. (Some artists write great lyrics anyway, bless their souls.) I don't, however, particularly like huge flashy song-and-dance numbers, or music that seems to "swell" too much. And I do wish that more operatic musicals would try to make original literary/philosophical contributions in the guise of old tales, as the great operas of past eras did, rather than being somewhat dumbed-down recreations of the source stories.

I have quite a few gay male friends in whose company I would hesitate to level these criticisms. I get the sense sometimes that what they think of as "fabulous" is precisely what I find tedious. I can respect the talent on display, of course, but it usually feels like empty calories.

And, as for "fabulous", I try to minimize use of the 50-odd synonyms for "very good" that used to have interesting specific meanings, e.g.

wonderful, outstanding, amazing, terrific, fantastic, great, spectacular, awesome, incredible, brilliant, stupendous, righteous, cool

...even if they're not as gay as "fabulous" is.

Posted by: J. Goard on September 16, 2005 6:39 PM

As a straight girl who has always been turned on by that little touch of lavender in her men, may I just say that this is my favorite comments thread ever.

Rrrrowl!

Posted by: Colleen on September 16, 2005 7:54 PM

Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar, Oklahoma, West Side Story, Phantom of the Opera, Showboat, A Little Night Music. That enough Musicals for you?

I also like domestic and wild cats, as well as canids. In addition, I have a soft spot for tasmanian devils. (A whole species afflicted with anxiety disorder.)

As for dogs. When they go to the door they're not telling you they want to go out, they're telling you they want to go out with you.

Posted by: Alan Kellogg on September 16, 2005 8:47 PM

Sometimes, when my girlfriend is out, I like to look through her stack of Play-Girl magazines. And I don't just read the articles.

Posted by: jordan on September 16, 2005 8:59 PM

Are cats (the animal, not the musical) gay now? I seem to recall that Robert Heinlein and Ernest Hemingway were both big cat fanciers, and I don't recall either one of them being gay (although I don't keep up on these things - both may have been "outed" by now, just like that swishy Abe Lincoln!)

Anyway, put me down for cats and early Elton John...

Posted by: tschafer on September 16, 2005 10:57 PM

I'm a big fan of both "The O.C." and "American Idol". I'm either gay, or I'm secretly a teenage girl.

Posted by: jimbo on September 16, 2005 11:26 PM

tshafer-

If Papa was gay, what hope is there for any of us?

Posted by: jimbo on September 16, 2005 11:28 PM

I find they kind of balance out:

I like to cook but I mainly like to cook meat.

I like wine but I also like beer.

I went through a weird phase where I was obsessed with 30s musicals and Busby Berkley but at the same time I was also obsessed with Bing Crosby and the Marx Brothers.

I know lots of showtunes but from listening to Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday and the like. (Jazz is still pretty straight, right? Not like opera?)

I like nice clothes but I usually dress like a homeless guy.

Posted by: Brian on September 17, 2005 12:07 AM

Not knowing how the local sports teams are doing (Robert Nagle)? Not even knowing the names of the local sports teams (Michael Blowhard)? I believe I can beat both of those. When O.J. Simpson was arrested, I was vaguely aware that he had been a big star in some important sport, but wasn't sure whether it was baseball or basketball. (For those who share my affliction: it was football.)

My deciding factor in choosing a college was that one of the two finalists still had a phys. ed. requirement in 1971. I chose the other one.

What else? I don't much care for musicals, but love the opera, which my students (I teach high school) certainly find gay. I've spent at least three times more money on books and classical CDs in my life than on cars (including gas, repairs, and insurance, not just payments), despite the fact that I've driven to work in my own car just about every day for 22 years now. (One way to keep the cost down: never wash a car, even when it's been parked under a pear tree and the birds have done a very thorough job on it.) I haven't spent more than $100 on tools in my life, and have never owned a power tool.

Posted by: Dr. Weevil on September 17, 2005 12:24 AM

I forgot: one of my favorite recipes is a spinach and cottage cheese quiche. Remember the bumper stickers from the 1984 presidential campaign "Mondale is a quiche-eater"? If quiches are wimpy, spinach and cottage cheese quiches are totally gay (but tasty!).

Posted by: Dr. Weevil on September 17, 2005 12:27 AM

This has been the funnest thing to read, ever! What Colleen said, DITTO!

Posted by: Flutist on September 17, 2005 1:07 AM

Michael:

In response to:

"ST - I know what you mean about "fabulous." But can't it also mean "pretty terrific"? If not, I'm in trouble. By the way, don't wimp out dude: how about volunteering some gay tendencies or tastes? Or are you not man enough?"

I am a "multimedia designer." Says so on my business card. What could possibly be more gay than that? I am the sole male "designer" in New York City who is also straight. It's generally thought that straight men can't match their shirt to their pants.

Posted by: Shouting Thomas on September 17, 2005 6:39 AM

Just thought of one: I love disco music!

Posted by: Scott Chaffin on September 17, 2005 8:21 AM

I love tea. I drink it every day. In fact, I sip it. Every day.

I often compliment women on looking good. I notice when women look good.

I am a shameless gossip, and love both giving and receiving.

If I think a guy is good-looking or well-built, I will cheerfully describe him as being 'hot'. On occasion, I'll even use the word 'hunky'. None of my friends care when I do this. It's nothing unusual with me, it seems.

I cry at weddings.

Posted by: PatrickH on September 17, 2005 9:47 AM

I confess I hadn't realized that some consider a taste for cats, tea and wine to be gay. Suspicious, yes, but outright gay? Well, I do live in NYC.

Winner so far, as far as I'm concerned: poker-playin', barbecue-lovin' Scott Chaffin remembering only late in the game that he likes disco. That's a little like someone saying, "Nope, nope, nothing 'gay'-like about me .... Well, maybe except for that one little thing, the fact that I have pierced nipples and wear thongs."

On the other hand, Elton, gossip, "The O.C.," Cher, design, clothes, Playgirl, "Sleepless in Seattle," quiche, musicals -- I dunno, I guess there is a lot of competition. I think we may have out-braved Neil Kramer ...

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on September 17, 2005 11:13 AM

According to my finely tuned gaydar, Dr. Weevil (and his uber-gay spinach and cottage cheese quiche) is the clear winner thus far.

Posted by: Maureen on September 17, 2005 1:15 PM

I must be really out of touch with the modern zeitgeist. I never realized that preferring cats as pets was considered "gay". My dad, WWII infantry vet, union electrician, Schlitz-drinking bane of hippies and "pinkos" everywhere, loved cats, and I never heard any one insinuate that he was gay (admittedly, any guy who called my father gay could probably have measured his future life expectancy with a stopwatch.)

Interestingly enough, two famous cat haters in the ancient world were Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar, While I don't want to get into the whole Oliver Stone "was Alexander gay?" business, his relationship with Hephaestion was considered odd even by ancient Greek standards, while Julius Caesar was famous as "every man's woman and every woman's man". On the other hand, Napoleon and Mussolini also hated cats, and no one ever said either of them was gay so I guess the jury is still out...

On the other other hand, if you were gay, would you want to claim Mussolini?

Posted by: tschafer on September 17, 2005 1:20 PM

Many alleged signs of gayness are just silly stereotypes, but having a collection of Maria Callas CD's might be one unambiguous sign :)
And what's the deal about cats? There's nothing whatsoever gay about owning them, or being owned by them.

Posted by: Peter on September 17, 2005 1:27 PM

I've been kidding around about cats, but in all honesty, it is interesting to see how what is perceived as "gay" (or effeminate, which may not be the same thing) has changed over time, and how it compares across cultures. I remember that Orwell wrote in one of his wartime essays that one of the reasons British and American soldiers had a difficult time respecting each other initially, is that each had traits that the other considered effeminate. It was not until they had seen action together that they learned to respect each other.

On a related topic, I also see that acceptable expressions of masculinity have changed significantly since I was young (I'm 45). Even twenty years ago, calling a guy a "pimp" was a mortal insult, sure to get you slugged at the very least. Now I gather that this is not regarded as being such a bad thing to be. As my dad used to remark about me "what the Hell is wrong with kids today?!"

Posted by: tschafer on September 17, 2005 1:47 PM

I've owned both cats and dogs and I would say cats are more likely to be possessed of what I would consider "manly" traits. While dogs are fine for paying catch and getting in the way, cats are good at producing their own kind of fun. I've spent many a lazy hour watching a cat harass a lizard or play the catch-and-release game with a snake. And how many dog owners find bird feathers on the back porch as evidence that the pet has just enjoyed a snack. Also, no dog has ever dropped a newly captured mouse in my lap as tribute.
And not all musicals are "gay". For example Oklahoma is an example of a good manly musical with strong manly characters and even some manly rough-housing.

Posted by: john w on September 17, 2005 1:50 PM

John W -- I'm with you up until the "Oklahoma" thing. "Music Man" and "Singin'in the Rain" strike me as musicals even the straightest of the straight can enjoy. But hearty dancing boys in tight jeans -- puh-leeze!

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on September 17, 2005 2:01 PM

There's quite a bit about me that's kinda gayish, to the point where I've subverted honest-to-god gaydar on numerous occasions, but nothing particularly interesting.

(I will say I've frequently seen the same look of utter surprise on women's faces when they discover I'm a sports nut. Is it the long hair or the moustache? Only my hairdresser knows for sure...)

Better is my buddy, an odd mix of metrosexual and slob. He loves to dress up in a high-quality and somewhat flashy manner, yet typically looks so sloppy that a frat boy would tell him to get his act together. One day, he was going on and on for several minutes about this wonderful new men's grooming store where he'd spent his lunch break; I couldn't get my eyes off the huge taco sauce stain on his tie. He's got a beer gut, which he only occasionally tries to get rid of, to no avail. (Sample quote: "I'd be a metrosexual, but I'm too fat.") He's going to ship several hundred bottles of wine back to the US next year, but it'll just make him drunkenly leer at women all the more. And so forth...

In a related aside, when Queer Eye for the Stright Guy first came on TV, this friend was an early, devoted fan. My roommate Chuck and I decided to watch it one evening to see what the appeal was. Twenty minutes into the program, Chuck fell asleep. As the show ended, he woke up, and asked groggily, "What happened?" "Oh my God," I said, "They converted him!" The great thing is, I had him for a minute.

I continue to watch the show faithfully to this day.

Posted by: Ned on September 17, 2005 3:40 PM

I am under the impression that it's far more 'gay' to like dogs than cats. It's just that the dogs have to be really, really small.

Posted by: PatrickH on September 17, 2005 6:57 PM

And they have to be carefully coiffed, and wear leather jackets.

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on September 17, 2005 7:06 PM

I always thought the American code of inexpressive masculinity was absurdly restrictive. There are plenty of cultures where the men are EXTREMELY macho but love passionate expressions of emotion, wearing fancy clothes and bright colors, being enthusiastic about fine cuisine, etc. In fact among Mediterranean cultures a lot of this is stereotypically masculine behavior.

Even in the U.S., some of our toughest and most macho subcultures are unabashedly metrosexual in their clothing and grooming when they can afford to be. Check out how successful black male athletes dress. They wouldn't be caught dead looking like slobs.

Posted by: MQ on September 17, 2005 7:50 PM

Ok, I am confused.... so if you are a woman, and you dont like cats, does that make you a lesbian? Or is it just a guy thingie with the cats. Or is cat loving a whole gender gay thingie....

And what happens if you find musicals (except for Sound of Music with a dish towel on your head so you can pretend to be a nun during the Climb Every Mountain song) stupid and sappy???

Posted by: Deb on September 17, 2005 8:01 PM

Getting back to the original posting, the word "fabulous" is usually misused, regardless of the speaker's sexual orientation. It is not a synonym for "terrific" or "wonderful," but essentially means "false" (it's associated with the word fable).

Posted by: Peter on September 17, 2005 8:04 PM

Taking silly "men's magazines" seriously -- that's gay.

Posted by: Jonathan on September 18, 2005 12:18 AM

I shower at least once a week...mayhbe a bit more in summer.

Posted by: West Coast Stud on September 18, 2005 11:59 AM

From merlin
Five things I enjoy that could reasonably lead you to conclude Iím a 13 year old girl

1. Sloan
2. Gilmore Girls
3. Gum
4. Gossiping about celebrities
5. LiveJournal

So is anybody going to fess up about the tough calls - what things could reasonably lead someone to conclude that you are a NASCAR dad or a person of another hue???

Posted by: j.c. on September 18, 2005 12:11 PM

Musicals, in a big way. Naturally Sondheim the genius: Sunday in the Park, Sweeney Todd, Bounce (I'm in the minority here but can make the case), Company, Follies, and of course West Side Story. MB how can you not enjoy Oklahoma (I'm just going to bite my tongue here, since I could go on for hours about the brilliance and exuberance of this show,) Music Man, Kiss Me Kate, Annie Get Your Gun.

Barbra in very small doses.

The great disco songs guys....I Will Survive, Last Dance, and yeah, even, um It's Raining Men. Love it.

GQ, Conde Nast Traveler, Real Simple, and (this isn't even a gay thing I confess but since I'm in the confessional) Oprah the magazine (but not the show.)

The novels of Alan Holinghurst, the poetry of James Schuyler, the non-fiction writing of Paul Monette, much of the unheralded if over-the-top writings of Larry Kramer (Reports from the Holocaust is brilliant), the poetry of Auden and Merrill

HGTV. Occasionally.

The movie Topsy-Turvy (which I found one of the most satisfying/enjoyable of the past five years.)

Finally, of course, male intimacy. I've had times in my life where I was the lone not-gay man in a large group of gay men, and over the course of time I came to love a quality of conversation that I don't often (not never mind you) attain with many of my best, and straight, friends. Male intimacy among men is not a gay thing per se--but it just doesn't, at the same time, feel all that straight.

Not: Tag Body Spray, Queer Eye (great moments but it ran its course), Will and Grace, or most of the divas.

Posted by: Tom Ehrenfeld on September 18, 2005 9:16 PM

Topsy-Turvy was IMO a terrific movie, one of the better ones ever made about the process of creating art. But it certainly didn't make Gilbert and Sullivan out to be gay..quite the opposite as I recall.

You really think personal openness among men is "gay"? Haven't you ever gone out for some beers with your straight male friends and complained about women? Believe me, it helps to have someone who understands the guys perspective completely.

Posted by: MQ on September 19, 2005 1:25 AM

I read 2 Blowhards every day...

Posted by: . on September 19, 2005 9:09 AM

My God! I'm stunned! And the keeper of stuffed animals and the viewer of Playgirl (not just for the articles) are totally the co-winners as far as I'm concerned. And "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" may or may not be gay, but certainly qualifies under the Guilty Pleasures heading.

And I've discovered--I'm not turned on at all! Maybe if one of you had said---I'm really thoughtful and I never run late and I always want my tie and my shirt to match, or something...but this! I think that MBlowhard has started something here that just ought to be stopped. Enough! Go fire up a barbecue and throw a steak on it!

Posted by: annette on September 19, 2005 9:43 AM

Lifetime. My movie is on.

Posted by: James on September 19, 2005 1:15 PM

Is it wrong to volunteer my husband's traits without telling him in advance? This has been a long term joke between us ever since our second date when I discovered potpourri in his bathroom. His most non-studly moves: he loves to take baths and he wants me to forgo planting so many vegetables next year to make room for more cut flowers.

Posted by: C.S. Froning on September 19, 2005 2:16 PM

Liking cats is gay? What about kittens? Supergay?

Two things I really like--The Beat Generations (mostly Burroughs) and experimental film--are seriously gay. Ginsberg loves talking about blowing and being blown and Burroughs just loves those adolescent boys wanking on toilet seats, and if you like Derek Jarman or Kenneth Anger films, you're gonna see a lot of swingin' (and not so swingin') dicks. But I love the art of it all so much, I don't really think about it. So does this count?

I don't have time for sports, unless, like our friend above, it features athletic young women. But I'm not watching to keep score, y'see.

And I love to make tea. Remind me why this is gay again?

Posted by: ted mills on September 19, 2005 6:55 PM

Well... I read all 52 comments. Afterwards, I thought, "Why?".

Posted by: Joe The Straight Guy on September 20, 2005 7:48 PM