« Sociobiological Song Lyrics | Main | Straight Boys, Gay Tastes »

November 05, 2003

Moviebiz Jargon Watch

Dear Friedrich --

Laura Holson is writing in the NYTimes about the highly-choreographed first day of the new "Matrix" movie, which opens worldwide on 10,013 screens in 50 countries and 43 languages, at precisely the same moment around the globe.

She quotes Alan Horn, president of Warner Brothers Entertainment, who explains their release strategy this way:

We think it's theatrical, it's fun, it's exciting. We talk about having event movies at Warner Brothers, and this is a way to further event-ize our movies.

Any ideas about how we might further event-ize our blog?

posted by Michael at November 5, 2003

Comments

Theatrical, fun, exciting--my aunt's fanny! It sounds like they are deathly afraid of reviews and word of mouth. This new "Matrix" must be a real stinker.

Posted by: Friedrich von Blowhard on November 5, 2003 12:51 PM

How about some pop-ups? They can be very impactful.

Posted by: Wisco on November 5, 2003 1:41 PM

Pop-ups: what a good idea. They incentivize just about everyone, don't they?

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on November 5, 2003 2:38 PM

Perhaps Michael could get cited on opinionjournal.com ...

Posted by: Tim Hulsey on November 5, 2003 3:16 PM

Perhaps you and Friedrich could start efforting an initiative to increase the intentfulness of the blog. Sort of operationalize perception management for the educated sociable--you know, the studio suite crowd.

And yes, I have seen all of the abominations above used with no evidence of a blush, though never (before) all at once. 8-)

Posted by: Doug Sundseth on November 5, 2003 6:01 PM

Well, first, you need to prioritize your action items. Remember: proactive, not reactive...

Posted by: jimbo on November 5, 2003 6:27 PM

I for one like a to put faces with words. It'd be too cool to see Michael's mug beside his postings and Fried's beside his. These pictures could regularly change too. Michael, when you revisit the "why does my wife act this way" topic/event, you and "the wife" could pose with boxing gloves ... that's too easy, but you get the idea.

Also, the people who comment, I really need to see what j.c. looks like. HA! Kidding, but wouldn't it be interesting to put some flesh in this world?

In this current format, we're all so dang mysterious. Maybe that's for the best. Probably the anonymity allows for more freedom and honesty.

Posted by: laurel on November 5, 2003 9:09 PM

How about an outreach political event?....send out " half a dozen copies [of an entertaining book on cities]...to...clueless politicians and planners" who've turned...so many places into sad excuses for a place?

I've got the book in mind and will donate them; in fact they will be on the way tomorrow, Thursday.

And I am curious to know which public figures? and why? Maybe other readers might make suggestions as to whom?

Posted by: David Sucher on November 5, 2003 9:28 PM

Change your names to Gandalf and Aragorn or Agent Smith and whoeever it is that Keanu Reeves plays?

Posted by: Deb on November 6, 2003 9:54 AM

Just so long as you don't immanentize the eschaton, I suppose anything you do is OK.

Posted by: Will Duquette on November 6, 2003 1:10 PM

I think we've got an actionable agenda here!

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on November 6, 2003 3:26 PM

Three words: themed helium balloons. They could be designed to inflate into the shape of a giant blowhard fan. Maroon, like the color of the site. Release 99 of them at 9am in Central Park. Worry, worry, super-scurry!

Or: 2Blowhards ice-cream. Like Tom & Jerry's, but instead Michael & Friedrich. Instead of an environmental theme, everything will be named around nouveau retro archictecture. I'm seeing a gables and porches cleverly incorporated into the design of the packaging.

Or obviously: PalmBlowhard, a dedicated handheld application for the Pocket Pc and PalmOS. It remaps the "to do" button, so everytime you push it to find a real errand instead you spend 10 minute reading a blowhardish musing.

But handhelds are memory-limited, so it would have to use Markov chains to randomly generate content on a predefines set of themes -- the folly of modernism and tastemaking elites, the effect of digital technology on aesthetics, the mysterious ways of the wife.

It'll be bigger than the yo-yo.

Posted by: alexis on November 7, 2003 5:40 AM

Mr. Sucher, please forward one to the Mayor of Dallas, one Laura Miller. We've got $1.2BB ready to spend on a riverfront 'renewal' project, and I'd love to see something besides another red-brick hellhole full of handbag stores and latte shops.

Posted by: Scott Chaffin on November 7, 2003 10:27 AM

Good lord, Alexis, is there a good reason why you don't go into marketing, play the role of innovator, and make a quick and easy fortune?

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on November 7, 2003 10:39 AM

Mr. Chaffin, Yes a Mayor qualifies.
I will be very happy to send Mayor Miller a book. Let's work on the logistics. I assume you are one of her constuents? I think that my sending a book to her cold, even with a cover letter saying something like "this fat guy on the web suggested I send you a copy" might just get the book tossed into the round file..
So what's the best way to do this? Maybe a cover e-mail from you and/or the sponsors...after all this is part of the 2blowhards event-izing of _their_blog.
Any suggestions?

Posted by: David Sucher on November 7, 2003 11:22 AM

Mr. Sucher, it will go in the round file regardless, I'm afraid. This is not my father's Dallas anymore. It always was kind of prissy, but it's even more so now.

However, I am more than happy to sponsor the costs of the book and the mailing, and even provide a signature to a well-written cover letter from the 2BH and yourself. I would like to see a better Dallas for my kids and grandkids, even if I'm going to be happily ensconced far away down on the river (or molding under six ft of dirt, more likely) by the time they turn the first spade of dirt on this latest boondoggle. I'll email you.

Posted by: Scott Chaffin on November 7, 2003 1:00 PM

Whoops! I'm rushed, and I can't seem to find an email at Comforts. Somebody email me. [he demanded in princely tones]

Posted by: Scott Chaffin on November 7, 2003 1:05 PM