« What Caused the '60s? | Main | Music for the Day: Dobie Gray »

December 06, 2008

Bagatelle

I'm getting tired of Barak Obama.

His picture is, like, just so everywhere!

Bring on the next new thing.

posted by Donald at December 6, 2008

Comments

The media have been obsessed with him for over a year now. It's really starting to look like a mental illness of some sort.

Posted by: Lester Hunt on December 6, 2008 5:06 PM

The worst is yet to come my friend. The new thing I'm seeing around NYC are buttons and bumper stickers with the words 1/20/2009, in anticipation of his inauguration.

Posted by: T. AKA Ricky Raw on December 6, 2008 5:29 PM

Then you should definitely not look at the poster of Sheila O'Malley's cat Hope here : http://www.sheilaomalley.com/archives/010411.html

Posted by: mutecypher on December 6, 2008 5:30 PM

That's where Soviet-time training comes handy; I automatically filter it out. Glass wall, watch-but-don't-see/hear/register, etc. Just like in Brezhnev times: white noise (or, in this case, half-white).

However, I enjoy my bits of O'Bummer fun whenever I find them. Like, unexpectedly, here (the blog is my new favorite).
Can't find a link to individual comments, so I'll copy Lauren's contribution:

"i refer to them using the man's name. as in his first name is the penis and the last name is the balls. ie:
Tom and the Jones'
Brad and the Pitts
Barack and the Obamas"

Posted by: Tatyana on December 6, 2008 6:32 PM

I grew up in Gomulka/Gierek/Jaruzelski Poland. I know exactly what you mean.

Posted by: PA on December 6, 2008 8:57 PM

The new thing is the coming breakup of America 2009-2010. Click here.

Posted by: S. Gruber on December 6, 2008 9:14 PM

and yet, at Jaruzelski time, in L'vov there was this running joke, about the local villager who's asked to describe what life @communism will be like. "oh the life will be just fine: I'm sitting in my orchard under the cherry tree, eat hot borshcsh and drink gorilka...just like when we belonged to Poland.." [better in Ukrainian: "як за Польщi..."]

Posted by: Tatyana on December 6, 2008 9:33 PM

What a nice friendly conversation! S. Gruber's website is subtitled "No Jews. Just Right." And his link takes us to a portal of neo-Nazis posting videos about "kikes" and "nigs."

Tatyana's penis and balls joke is even sadder. Whatever happened to the days when she was incensed about armpit hair?!

Posted by: Sister Wolf on December 6, 2008 10:20 PM

S. Gruber

Obama's never had a job-type job and tends to rant like Castro. That said, his mother didn't marry her uncle.

Your Linzer Torte "Shicklgruber" - who never had any job and ranted like Castro - was decidedly low on pure Nordic ingredients. More seriously, he was the product of generations of cousin-on-cousin, uncle-on-niece action. No wonder the creep drove his own niece, Geli Raubal, to suicide. For bloodline, I'll prefer non-related Wasp-Kenyan everytime.

Posted by: Robert Townshend on December 7, 2008 2:25 AM

canadians should shut the crap up and let the one do his thing.

a sub dollar price of oil does impact the canadian economy and put the currency innits place.

get over it.

Posted by: Ramesh on December 7, 2008 2:25 AM

No, what's sad is a 55yo bulimic woman with no profession, no wit, no smarts, no morals but burdened with delusions of grandeur (what passes for grandeur in her tiny brain). Who calls herself [alternatively] a commie, a lesbian, a negress (even put it in email address), or a Devil - while in reality she's just a grimacing macaque. A yapping chihuahua.

shooo!

Posted by: Tatyana on December 7, 2008 8:57 AM

No morals?! Now, that hurts.

Posted by: Sister Wolf on December 7, 2008 3:55 PM

Commenters -- Things are getting out of hand. We try to maintain civil discourse that is based on fact and informed opinion as much as possible. Name-calling doesn't fit that description, so I'm zapping some previously published comments and deleting three more in the queue. The same fate awaits any further inappropriate submissions.

Posted by: Donald Pittenger on December 7, 2008 8:10 PM

A miserable stalker: putting on personalities and grasshoping through my blogroll, for 6 months - trying to win over my friends.

Posted by: Tatyana on December 7, 2008 8:19 PM

Donald, so now you decided to moderate?
Where were you when this filthy bitch was harassing me, for 6 months?
This disgusting piece of shit is leaving abusive comments addressed to me in your every thread - and you're silent: right until I dared to respond as she deserved.

Where were you when Patrick fucking H had insulted me in your thread?

It started to look like you are not better than Michael: here for a spectacle. And the show is fixed.

Posted by: Tatyana on December 7, 2008 8:28 PM

Please post all my comments, Donald.

Posted by: Tatyana on December 7, 2008 9:36 PM

You're taking things much too seriously, Tat. I wish I had foes as funny and devoted to me as your foes.

I've got none, unless you count the guy currently trolling through the nearest Hot Topic store for blog posting topics, and he's too busy playing Humbert Humbert of the numbers game to really care.

Consider it a reason to laugh and not go all Underground Man (or woman) about it.

::ducks to avoid the thrown Ukrainian steel knives::

Posted by: Spike Gomes on December 7, 2008 11:11 PM

"so I'm zapping some previously published comments and deleting three more in the queue. The same fate awaits any further inappropriate submissions."

who does a guy have to blow out here to get my comments censored?

wat im not insulting enough?

canadians, you know where you can put your bill of rights?!

the loon tastes like brick..

the mountie and smokey the bear? they did it (why do you think they call it the canadian rockies?!)

make medical marijuana mandatory for all canadians!

theres no differece between a canadian and a nufie!

pamela sue is actually from utah.

now censor me!

Posted by: Ramesh on December 8, 2008 12:08 AM

Blowhards--the blog today is more entertaining than "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew" and probably more realistic. I'm getting rid of my cable and making a big bag of popcorn. onward..

Posted by: michael from atl on December 8, 2008 12:27 AM

I love it, Donald, you post a totally substance-free dig at Obama, then half-heartedly jump in to "moderate."

Why are people so enthusiastic about Obama? Take a guess.

Posted by: JV on December 8, 2008 12:37 AM

JV -- Re-read the post. I did not say anything about Obama himself; no dig at all. I mentioned my reaction to how the news media have been treating the man.

Yes, I'm half-hearted because I believe in free expression of the normal sort. Name-calling does not fit the character of this blog, but just where the first leaves off and the other begins can be hard to judge precisely.

Furthermore, Michael and I have other things to do than blog and sometimes (for me, anyway) I don't read more than the first sentence of incoming comments before letting them go "live." And we screen comments regardless of whose post they deal with. That is, I don't screen only mine and he doesn't screen only his.

The purpose of screening is to eliminate spam, which is what I look for when I see a bunch of new stuff to be vetted.

Posted by: Donald Pittenger on December 8, 2008 9:38 AM

I was cranky last night. Sorry about that.

Posted by: JV on December 8, 2008 12:54 PM

"who does a guy have to blow out here to get my comments censored?"

Chris White must be asking the same question right about now.

Posted by: CyndiF on December 8, 2008 2:38 PM

'"who does a guy have to blow out here to get my comments censored?"

Chris White must be asking the same question right about now.'

This didn't come out quite right, now did it?

I meant that considering the comments directed his way lately, Chris White must be wondering when this no name-calling policy went into effect.

Sigh.

Posted by: CyndiF on December 8, 2008 4:40 PM

CyndiF, thanks for clearing that up. I read it twice, hoping to understand your point.

Perhaps the reason is this: When ST rants against Chris White, his hyperbole is so absurd that the Blowhards find it amusing. Even Chris must laugh out loud at some of ST's rhetoric.

But when the name-calling is just nutty and crude invective, hurled in a fit of hysteria, it lowers the tone here.

Even ST himself has never sunk to calling me a "disgusting piece of shit!"

Insults must be artful! Aim higher, and the Blowhards will probably approve your comments.

Personally, I have blown all the executives here, so I'm not worried. And as for the charge that I have no profession, I am a housewife. And a journalist, if you must know.

Posted by: Sister Wolf on December 8, 2008 8:44 PM

I posted a harmless little comment back at Ramesh to the effect:

Ramesh: Will S, Clio and I will be in touch.

I hope that wasn't censored, seeing as how Tatyana's utterly vile utterly hypocritical and utterly soul-revealing "comments" were allowed to pass.

Say it ain't so, Donald.

Posted by: PatrickH on December 9, 2008 8:55 AM

Donald, post my comments.

The ones I left yesterday and the one - today.

The wounded innocence posturing here isn't quite high pitched enough, not enough exclamation - let them scream.

Or be a man and say you sensor speech - particularly, my speech, when I no longer tolerate hateful attacks from you resident snakes.

Ban me - publicly.

Posted by: Tatyana on December 9, 2008 9:46 AM

Tatyana (and others) -- I'm fed up with comments that resort to name-calling as their main argument or that toss in crude names as part of the argument.

Comments are welcome provided that they relate to the post or previous comments and (ideally) are made in an adult manner one would expect at business meeting, dinner party and so forth. There's enough flaming and trashing on the Web as is, and no good reason for this blog to become part of that.

Calling someone a "lefy" or "dumb Neocon" on a comment to one of my posts will get posted if there is substantive material to go with it. Calling someone a "s**t " or "c**t" will likely result in the delete button being clicked.

So if you follow the rules, your comment will appear.

I know I've been lax at times policing this. In part that's because when comments on a post go beyond 25 or 30, commenting tends to become a few people debating amongst themselves and I sometimes tune out on that. (Remember, my wages here as well as Michael's have been at the inflation-fighting level of $0.00 for some time now, and we do have non-blog lives to lead.)

Posted by: Donald Pittenger on December 9, 2008 10:52 AM

Gruber, you fucking bastard, your link sent me to a nazi site. The next person to use this computer is going to think I follow that shit.

Someone ban this pondlife, PLEASE.

Posted by: Zimri on December 12, 2008 12:42 AM