« Over? Under? Sideways? Down? | Main | Aging Giants »

November 11, 2008

Stickin' Right

Oh ye of little faith.

Well, I'm assuming that some of you were probably skeptical when I mentioned that I'd post Righty bumper sticker-bedecked vehicles when found and in camera range. Lefty stickers were featured here and here.

Behold!!

Atacadero%20bumper%20stickers.jpg

Okay, it's not so great compared to the others but I [whine] really [whine] really [more whine] tried. This truck was spotted in a fast-food joint's parking lot near Paso Robles, California.

I'll keep trying to find a seriously plastered Rightiemobile. Now that The Savior is on his way to the White House my odds might improve.

posted by Donald at November 11, 2008

Comments

I suppose it is impossible to put an idea with any complexity or sophistication into a bumper sticker message. I want a sticker that says: Is war the answer? What was the question?

Posted by: Lester Hunt on November 11, 2008 12:18 PM

FWIW, I'll be posting my O shit! and Question Othority stickers as soon as I get them.

Posted by: buster1 on November 11, 2008 1:07 PM

I like that "Global Warming is caused by the sun" sticker.

Posted by: Will S. on November 11, 2008 1:13 PM

Tons of them up here in the Sacramento area. It all depends on where you live.

Posted by: JV on November 11, 2008 1:19 PM

Lester Hunt: Perhaps a bumper sticker you might like, here.

Posted by: Will S. on November 11, 2008 2:46 PM

What you see in this area is that angry little kid taking a leak sticker, with the object of ire being whatever that particular driver has in mind placed strategically under the golden shower. Not too long ago, I saw the angry little kid sticker taking a leak on an "Obama08" sticker. Right to the heart of the matter, I thought.

Posted by: Charlton Griffin on November 11, 2008 4:07 PM

There used to be a pickup truck in the heart of Park Slope, Brooklyn that I used to see wallpapered in pro-Republican, anti-liberal bumper stickers. I wanted to say it was real gutsy, but let's be real, what's a progressive hipster going to do at worst, throw a warm latte at him? But still, I used to love seeing that truck parked and all the angry libs seething and staring at it. If I can find it again I'll snap a shot and email it to you.

Posted by: T. AKA Ricky Raw on November 11, 2008 4:38 PM

What are the slogans? I can't read them?

Posted by: as on November 11, 2008 6:14 PM

Ricky Raw: my dry-cleaning guy dared to plaster McCain election poster in his window a week before Nov4th; admittedly, we were until that day the only remaining Republican district in NYC. Still, judging by the local election outcome, he seriously endangered his business revenue.
And speaking of piss-boys: they can substitute for a portrait of a real one. A Councilman from NJ. Democrat, of course.

Posted by: Tatyana on November 11, 2008 7:36 PM

Tatyana: you didn't need to tell us he was a Dem. He wasn't molesting children, stealing money or trolling for gay sex, thus he couldn't be a self-hating 'pub. :)

Posted by: Upstate Guy on November 12, 2008 10:05 AM

what's a progressive hipster going to do at worst, throw a warm latte at him?

No, what will happen is a spiteful, cowardly liberal will vandalize the car when the owner isn't there.

Posted by: JP on November 12, 2008 10:49 AM

My favorite bumper sticker seen lately (in religious Colorado Springs):

Darwin loves you.

Posted by: CyndiF on November 12, 2008 11:08 AM

UG: do you consider soliciting for gay sex a crime on par with molesting children? No force or threats were used, as far as I know, nobody was harmed (or pissed on, heh), and no subordinates were recruited for pleasure. [remember that Clinton guy?}
So much for "open-minded and liberated" leftie...

Oh, I forgot - you only allow sexual liberties to your own kind. Cheney daughter, remember?
No principles.Hypocrits.

Posted by: Tatyana on November 12, 2008 11:16 AM

Hey JP, a spiteful, cowardly conservative slapped a Bush sticker on my windshield during the '04 elections because I had a Kerry sticker on the car. It goes both ways.

Posted by: JV on November 12, 2008 11:46 AM

Hey, JV - but he didn't cut your tires or spray-painted it, or scratched "bushChimpHitler" on it, did he?

It doesn't go both ways, JV.

CindyF: that was awsome.

Posted by: Tatyana on November 12, 2008 12:12 PM

Tat, has what you described happened to anyone's car because of a bumper sticker? Not saying it hasn't, but I'm not aware of such an occurrence.

Posted by: JV on November 12, 2008 2:24 PM

JV, I'll try to find the article - a conservative journalist in Seattle decided to step down because of the treatment he and his family were subjected to.

Posted by: Tatyana on November 12, 2008 5:09 PM

Found it. Sort of: not from Seattle, but close.

Read the comments and tell me honestly you've seen same level of screeming hatred from the opposite side.

Posted by: Tatyana on November 12, 2008 5:19 PM

Yes I have; the extremist fringe of the pro-life movement is probably the most obvious example. And I'm certain I can wade through some right-wing sites (Little Footballs comes to mind) with commenters showing the same level of vitriol.

Posted by: JV on November 12, 2008 5:54 PM

JV: you lost your chance to [pleasantly] surprise me.
The difference is the "extremist pro-life fringe" vs. mainstream Democrats. Little Green Footballs (hey, I like them!) is not an official newspaper, and I haven't heard any commenter there engaged in criminal misdemeanor (to characterize it mildly) described in the article. People who threatened the journalist's family were a school teacher and a "peace advocate". And you know what? If I didn't work in the office with 98% voting O'Bummer in, and haven't I listened to 6 months of conspiracy theories, dirty lies and general paranoia (at the workplace) - I would be inclined to believe you. Haven't I lived in NYC - I would say, maybe you make at least partial sense.
But I have.

But, I didn't expect you to agree with me. You lefties never change your rigid frame. Chris White have been combing Neoneo site in search of extremist opinions, so he can gleefully report it afterwards - instead he was talked to respectfully and debated on merit. He still turned around and came here complaining of crazy righties.

It's a waste of breath, really. I suppose you're older than 30, so the Clemenceau's bon mot applies.

Posted by: Tatyana on November 12, 2008 7:57 PM

Is that the "not a liberal when young, you have no heart..." thing? Or was that Churchill?

The people threatening the columnist and commenting on the newspaper site were not "mainstream Democrats." That kind of behavior is nothing but extremist, no matter the occupation of the ones behaving so or the venue they choose to express their views on. The extremist pro-life people I'm sure also have normal day jobs.

Your co-workers, do they condone such behavior? Do they act in such a way? I highly doubt it. Where I live (Sacramento area) it's the polar opposite of where you live. I'm surrounded by conservatives, most of them perfectly nice people, some of them total right-wing nutjobs. There are times when I feel the entire conservative movement is out to lunch because of my idealogical isolation. It's fatigue on my part from always having to defend my position and rarely getting together with like minds, which, while not conducive to critical thinking, is nice every now and then. Sounds like your situation is similar to mine, inversely. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Posted by: JV on November 13, 2008 1:18 PM

IV: my situation is not yours.

My shtettl-educated grandma had a Yiddish expression: "I've already forgotten what you are yet to learn".
See, I've lived in your wet dream of a Socialisty paradise for 30 years and I klnow it's nothing like you imagine. Before you start pointing to Sweden and France: yes, all socialist systems are alike. Sweden and France and Canada and North Korea and Venezuela and Cuba are all in decline, in terms relative to their wealth BEFORE they turned to socialism. It is universally flawed system.
I know what I'm talking about, and you are not. Yours is a theory, mine - practice. [Although I know the theory very well; it has been hammered into me since early childhood - just like your Democratic ideologues are trying to imitate the Soviets with American children. I had advanced through 10 years of school to 5 years of Scientific Communism and Political Economy in my first college - and I had an "A" on a State Exam of it, better than 98% of my course; don't even try to offer me a Marxist apology.] And don't tell me you're not Socialist. All Democrats are DINOs; their shades vary from blush-pink to dry-blood red, but the colorway is unmistakable.

It was not Churchill, but the quote is right.

Another thing: I'm not in isolation. Even here, in scarlet-red NY.
Seen the results of election in this city? Roughly, 30% against 60%. It means every third person is NOT a Dem.

Posted by: Tatyana on November 13, 2008 2:27 PM

Oh Jesus, whatever, Tat. I'm no socialist just because I'm a liberal. And yes, your situation is extra jesus-y special. Maybe in 5 lifetimes I will have your secret knowledge, but anyway, nice going on shutting down the dialogue.

Posted by: JV on November 13, 2008 4:49 PM

OK, I shouldn't just get all pissy. Tat, I know you came from a communist country and respect that experience. The initial point of this thread wasn't to debate the specifics of this or that ideology, it was whether or not one side had more and/or more extreme nutjobs than the other side. My position was both sides have their fair share, and you presented nothing to prove otherwise.

I made the correlation between our situations based on your comment about your workplace being 98% pro-Obama. You said you were up to your neck on liberal conspiracy theories because of that, and I offered that I was up to my neck on the conservative variety based on the people I see every day. I guess we could continue our climb up Mt. Victim and see who gets higher, but that's pointless.

I'm mostly weary of the liberal = socialist bullshit. It's a lazy and false argument. I realize you may be sensitive around that issue because of your background, but crying "Socialist!" every time a liberal viewpoint is raised does nothing for your credibility.

Posted by: JV on November 13, 2008 5:02 PM

Amazing, how bad liberal reading skills are.
No, JV, my situation is not extra Jesusy special. That's what i tried to tell you. All residents of the countries where socialism is practiced are in various degrees go thru the same experience as mine. Remember when Soviet Union was The Biggest COuntry On The Planet? The 1/6th of the Earth surface? Shrinking population of that country has experience similar to mine. The very fact of shrinkage...al'right, let's not go there. My knowledge is not only not secret, it has been widely available to anyone with ears not sealed with Leftie wax.

I don't see a point in this conversation, JV. Mostly because when I see men acting all touchy-feely I'm embarassed for them and rather leave them to paddle through their temper tantrum far from public eyes.

You can repeat your mantra "I'm not a socialist, I'm a liberal" all you want. But here's a thing: as long as you advocate that third party takes property from one person and give it to other, you are a socialist.

Posted by: Tatyana on November 13, 2008 5:53 PM

"You can repeat your mantra "I'm not a socialist, I'm a liberal" all you want. But here's a thing: as long as you advocate that third party takes property from one person and give it to other, you are a socialist"

So, like, taxes? If you're anti-tax, then I'll just have to disagree with you on a fundamental level. However, "third party takes property from one person and give it to other" does not define socialism. There are degrees of government involvement acceptable to a democratic society. We can argue about those degrees of involvement, but your binary viewpoint on liberalism/socialism is just incorrect.

And resorting to lame attempts at emasculation regarding your obviously narrow view of masculinity is a pathetic and frequent tactic of yours. Anyway, I'd hardly call my little outburst a few comments back a tantrum. More like exasperation, which was quickly followed by a more substantive response.

blah blah blah, we're doing the Lord's work here, commenting on blogs.

Posted by: JV on November 13, 2008 6:48 PM

See my comment above. Rinse, repeat.

Posted by: Tatyana on November 13, 2008 7:22 PM

Well you showed me. I guess I win this round. Sweet.

Posted by: JV on November 13, 2008 7:30 PM

Keep saying it, JV, if that's your only claim to masculinity: I won this round! I won this round!
Loser.

Posted by: Tatyana on November 13, 2008 7:53 PM

Just checked the polls...I'm still ahead.

Posted by: JV on November 13, 2008 8:08 PM

Of course - your polls are predictably Dems: skewed towards your own. See MN election count.

You can't say you won a debate if your opponent finds it useless to get engaged. I said as much yesterday, at 7:57pm.

Oh maybe that passes for a victory - in a bandarlog community.

Posted by: Tatyana on November 13, 2008 8:34 PM

You type a lot for a disengaged debater.

Posted by: JV on November 14, 2008 2:13 AM

Now this looks like a thread that belongs on Neoneo's blog.

Posted by: Chris White on November 14, 2008 1:06 PM

I'm enjoying this, actually. I've lost interest recently in engaging in pissing contests myself--my crush may be mellowing me--but this is actually a pretty good one to watch. I'm loving the one-sentence exchanges in particular.

Keep going folks!