« Art Recession Datapoint | Main | 15 Years of Bestsellers per USA Today »

November 07, 2008

Obama, the Pastry

Read about Zilly Rosen's Barack Obama cupcake project. If we're going to have to endure a lot of silly political euphoria, let more of it take the form of cupcakes.

Slightly related: Bex wants to be the Obama family's puppydog.

What was election night like where you live? In Greenwich Village it was Yanks-win-the-Series-style pandemonium. Men shouted, cars honked, women wept and hollered "I love you Obama!" ... There was a lot of "Change" -- whatever that means -- in the air.

posted by Michael at November 7, 2008

Comments

Michael, you're a cranky old fart. So am I.

The kids were indoctrinated with a vengeance over the past 30 years that if only the great sex/race/class problems were solved, then Utopia would be within our reach.

Obama is the great Messiah of the sex/race/class obsessed folks.

Wasn't there a time in your life when you believed that if some problem (fill in the blanks) was just resolved, then humans would learn to get along and the birdies would sing?

The "free thinkers" are, in fact, beaten down by years of indoctrination in the school system. They will be in their 40s and 50s before the beating starts to wear off.

This is the Dawn of the Age of ... whatever it is. Don't you get it?

Posted by: Shouting Thomas on November 7, 2008 5:18 AM

Nietzsche said it -- the state is The New Idol. These are religious experiences, with worldly leaders standing in for God.

Posted by: Lester Hunt on November 7, 2008 9:25 AM

ST, I agree that there's been plenty of indoctrination (both attempted and actually successful). But the simplified solution mindset might well be due to youth itself. I kinda recall thinking that way when I was high school and college age, though I can't remember the issues offhand. Years later, my son -- a rabid quasi-libertrian -- was also spouting of the If they would only just do ... line of reasoning.

Posted by: Donald Pittenger on November 7, 2008 9:48 AM

Very subdued here in small town Deep South. This town is about 55% black, yet there were no outward signs of jubilation, no celebrations in the streets. The maids and helpers I see every day and wave to showed no signs of euphoria. I waited to see if one particular black lady I see frequently would say anything, but the subject never even came up. It's as though the election had never taken place. However, whites who I talked with seem grim. They seem resigned to more of the same treatment they've gotten in the past...more affirmative action, higher taxes, less reason to vote.

Posted by: Charlton Griffin on November 7, 2008 10:00 AM

Lots of indifference here in the Southwest. Only bright spot for me is that I got to vote for Jeff Flake, one of the very few Republicans who's actually not a scumbag.

Posted by: Todd Fletcher on November 7, 2008 12:35 PM

Around here (smalltown, western Maryland,) I saw a single firework through the front window of my house sometime after 11pm on election night. Aside from that, it's just about the same as it ever was, as far as I can tell.

ST: Of course maybe your over-arching paranoid everyone's-been-indoctrinated theory is right; but it seems more likely to me that Michael was closer to the truth with what he said in the first place: The Yanks won the series. We voted and it worked this time. Our team won the superbowl. Sure there are people who think that, somehow, this means everything's going to change. But I doubt there are that many of them; at least there probably aren't as many as you seem to think there are.

Having a president who pronounces "Nuclear" correctly is change enough for me.

Posted by: i, squub on November 7, 2008 3:42 PM

I was in Oakland at a friend's election party. Needless to say, there was much jubilation, both in the house and in the neighborhood. The people at the party were all old enough (late 30s/early 40s) to not be hoping for Obama to sweep into the White House and fix everything. However, there is a sense, in my circles at least, that there is an adult leading our country, one who plays up the similarities and not the differences in people. That is entirely separate from ignoring the differences between people, of course they are there.

Posted by: JV on November 7, 2008 7:02 PM

Since roughly half of the elecorate didn't and don't vote, it seems that the new religion of the state is far less persuasive than the magic-theistic ones, fortunately. The less religion the better, sez I.

Posted by: Peter L. Winkler on November 7, 2008 10:49 PM

Whatever "change" means? Come on! You're either less well educated or less intelligent than you have appeared to date.

Posted by: beloml on November 8, 2008 12:57 PM

"You're either less well educated or less intelligent than you have appeared to date." That's quite likely! Nice to hear I've gotten away with it so far, though ...

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on November 8, 2008 1:16 PM

Several of my Swedish neighbours said "Congratulations!" to me. Odd. Talk about drinking the Koolaid.

Posted by: robert61 on November 8, 2008 5:22 PM

Gunfire. I live at the north end of Chicago, in a mixed neighborhood. When Obama's victory, I heard a few dozen gunshots.

IOW, the gangbangers were overjoyed. Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy?

Posted by: Rich Rostrom on November 12, 2008 7:53 PM