« More on "Game" | Main | Plain or Mixed? »

November 20, 2008

Camille's Back

In her latest column, Camille Paglia manages to praise both Pres. Obama and Sarah Palin. Gotta love Camille: She goes her own way; she's no partisan-politics party propagandist; and she always calls it as she sees it.

posted by Michael at November 20, 2008

Comments

Even when I disagree with Paglia, I can always be awed by the mental clarity of her reasoning.

Posted by: T. AKA Ricky Raw on November 20, 2008 12:02 PM

Paglia's article was refreshingly free from the usual crap.

I voted for McCain, but didn't care much that Obama won. It doesn't matter that much who's president. It's time for the loony left to have their chance to fuck up. Maybe that will take the chip off their shoulders... although I doubt it.

As for the attacks on Gov. Palin... yes, they were very creepy. It's still going on at Steve Sailer's site. The IQ, I'm Smarter Than You, crowd... what a pile of shit for brains they are!

Abortion mania... God, it's awful. I think that most people are sensible enough to see abortion just about the way I do... a godawful, ugly thing that should be available only in extremity. The hateful attack on Palin for having children, and for giving birth to a child with problems... how ugly can you get?

The spoiled brat circus seems to be headed toward a nuclear explosion. See the Nights of Rage lunacy by the gay loonies in San Francisco. As the economy contracts, and as the potential for nuclear war in the Middle East expands, what will happen to the spoiled brats who refuse to accept reality? I see the gay loonies and their allies slowly moving toward a neo-Nazi movement... if they haven't done so already.

Posted by: Shouting Thomas on November 20, 2008 12:31 PM

Funny that the Eastern elites like Paglia are the ones most likely to find Palin's folksiness so knockout charming. Midwesterners like myself usually start checking for our wallets when someone lays on the smarm so aggressively. Palin's a big reason why Obama managed to peel off an electoral vote from my home state of Nebraska--which hasn't voted for a Dem in basically forever.

Paglia's obsession with Ayers, his wife, Charles Manson etc., is depressingly typical of her incessant boomer navel-gazing, which is aging badly. Thank god we're finally moving on as a nation from all that.

Posted by: Steve on November 20, 2008 12:34 PM

I thought the article was pretty even-handed and so I sent it out to everyone on my list to see who would object. Consider it a litmus test to see how far left some of your friends really are. And sure enough, a few of the folks on my list have asked to be removed. I have gladly complied. It's nice to know who is insane among your relationships.

Posted by: Charlton Griffin on November 20, 2008 2:23 PM

Camille also put in some good words about the late, lamented Yma Sumac, which I was glad to see.

Posted by: Lester Hunt on November 20, 2008 2:58 PM

"Thank god we're finally moving on as a nation from all that."

Yeah, right...

Posted by: Anonymous on November 20, 2008 3:18 PM

"..to simmer and boil until it flared up ferociously.."

"...playing mini-badminton with every random spitball..."

"... wrapped in the fuzzy mummy-gauze of their own worn-out partisan dogma..."

"Well, it's pretty obvious who wears the pants in that family!"

Is Camille Paglia the Ed Wood of American prose? So bad she's good?

As with Ed, there's something you have to like about Camille. If she's a ditz, she's a likeable and fair-minded ditz. Inarticulate oafs like the dismal Andrew Sullivan and Dick Cavett have attacked Palin - among other things for her use of language! - but Camille will have none of it. She's well-bred, as is Palin, and that connects the two of them.

You wouldn't want her teaching English to your cockatoo...but there may yet be an important moral role for this silly but thoroughly decent bluestocking.

Posted by: Robert Townshend on November 20, 2008 4:23 PM

I thought we were moving back into the era of Ayers and Dohrn, not away from it. The fact that their era was both grotesque and dated even when it was "fresh" doesn't mean it can't recur. Hello again, nightmare.

Posted by: ricpic on November 20, 2008 6:49 PM

And here I thought I didn't like Gov. Palin for her "Drill, baby, drill!" approach to energy, her Bush-Cheney approach to Iraq, her pandering to the base with comments about real Americans, her tendency to answer interview questions with either oddly strung together collections of stump speech soundbites or the attitude that she shouldn't have to answer them at all, her seeming disdain for international diplomacy, and so on.

With McCain at the top of the ticket ... given his age, health, and at times erratic campaign decisions ... Palin appeared more likely than usual to face the possibility of serving as President and, given her relatively obscure national status, thus deserving a bit more scrutiny.

Her folksy delivery was, at times, a bit annoying. Those dropped "g" endings appeared more cunningly calculated rather than perfectly natural ... used to affirm her status as a "real" American. That said, I certainly did not interpret this as a sign of any lack of intelligence. I've thickened my Maine accent on occasion to poke fun at my supposed "hick" status and heard her accent more or less that way, as a signifier of her "Washington outsider/maverick" status.

Being pro-choice (abortions a private decision made by a woman in consultation with her physician, not her lawyer; they should be extremely rare, but safe and legal) Palin's preference for making her own religious views public policy did not reflect my views. But I also assumed that any Republican on the ticket would most likely be pro-life, so this was not particularly surprising, nor did it much influence my view of Palin.

All in all, while I liked the Paglia piece, I thought some of the assumptions about what Palin opponents were thinking a bit off the mark.

Posted by: Chris White on November 20, 2008 7:00 PM

My fave Palin moment was when she was airily avoiding Couric's question about what publications she read.

Couric had on her best wounded-in-advance expression, which seemed to say: "Just admit to the ultimate horror. Admit you don't read the New York Times!"

Palin's expression seemed to say: "I have occasionally made use of the New York Times...for wrappin' up salmon guts."

I'm yet to find a use for Salon.

Posted by: Robert Townshend on November 20, 2008 7:55 PM

Steve has a good point. I'm a Real American living in Ohio and Palin's folksy bit came off as a little too broad and forced. Trying too hard. You're up to something.

It was funny to see northeastern elites like Bill Kristol get lightheaded at the very thought of this noble savage from a strange, rugged land.

The story about how she bought $100k something worth of clothes on their dime right before she split town. That was gold. How can you not like that? She grifted em good.

Posted by: Bhh on November 21, 2008 12:23 AM

Robert Townshend, are you trying to patronise the girl to death?

Posted by: dearieme on November 21, 2008 1:18 PM

While I'm patronising: I loved the total disconnect between Palin and Charlie Gibson. That interview was interplanetary.

On Planet Gibson, you have an earnest belief in the value of building a sports centre in a small Alaskan town. You believe in the empowerment, the sense of sharing, the sense of community, the...um...holistic and localist...um...

On Planet Palin, the bloody thing's been built.

Posted by: Robert Townshend on November 22, 2008 1:40 AM