« An Astonishing Art Rediscovery | Main | Stop Signs for Thee, Not for Me »

June 29, 2008

Elsewhere

* Authors against Obama.

* Steve Sailer points out that nearly everyone everywhere -- globalism-lovin' elites aside, of course -- dislikes high immigration levels.

* Another good one from Steve, with smart and funny comments from the Steve Gang: Perhaps the authors of the Anti-Federalist Papers were right. Me, I gotta confess that I had no knowledge at all of something called "The Anti-Federalist Papers." Call me Mr. History.

* Meet "ordo-liberal" economist Wilhelm Ropke, too-little-recognized and a special favorite of mine. Here's an excellent John Zmirak intro to Ropke.

* A great passage from an interview with horror junkie / satirist Polly Frost:

The thing about horror movies is they need to be made with utter conviction. So even if they go wrong and become camp hootfests, they still endure. The only horror movies I have contempt for are the ones made by meek committees, trying not to really offend anyone while cashing in on the appeal of the genre.

Horror fans are often likable, unpretentious enthusiasts, aren't they? Buy a copy of Polly's collection of stories here.

* MBlowhard Rewind: I looked at some recent trends in ad design.

posted by Michael at June 29, 2008

Comments

I had agents call _me_: John Brockman and Amanda Urban. Isn't that how most books begin?

Posted by: gcochran on June 29, 2008 12:56 PM

The anti-Federalists were clearly right about a number of things (including the one point on which they won -- that we should have a bill of rights). The Federalist Papers, IMO, is the most overrated book since the Gospel of St. Mark.

Posted by: Lester Hunt on June 29, 2008 4:39 PM

About Wilhelm Röpke: Maybe the cause of the eventually decline of the German Miracle that Gregg writes about was Röpke himself. After all, his whole project was to combine the free market with the welfare state (resulting in "the humane economy," "the social market," "the third way," etc.). Perhaps that's just not a stable system. Maybe it has to self-destruct.

Posted by: Lester Hunt on June 29, 2008 5:01 PM

I thought Barack Obama was some kind of urban/cool rehash of Jimmy Carter, complete with the appalling wife. Then I read this extract from his nomination speech:

"...this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal..."

Perhaps, like the Emperor Caligula, Mr. Obama could have the army gather sea-shells to commemorate his conquest of the oceans.

Posted by: Robert Townshend on June 29, 2008 10:19 PM

Re immigration: The other day i was at the drugstore when a group of what appeared to be illegals were pushing their car. I was going to offer to help, but I noticed they were pushing it behind a van which had a thin piece of rope behind it. They were tying the car to the van for an illegal and extremely dangerous road trip. By the way, all the participants looked to be well on their way to diabetes, fat and worn out. To put the icing on the cake, there were three chickens and/or roosters in the van in little milk crates making quite a racket. I felt this was the end, we go out with not a bang or a whimper, but a cluck.

The other interesting thing was a recent robbery in this area. The report said the Somali speaking 7-Eleven clerk was unable to understand the Spanish speaking robber. Some of us are having a hard time understanding it, too.

One quick aside, I've heard a commenter sing the praises of Hawaii's racial undestanding during immigration discussions. Ive been looking into that when I come across those with Island experience. The best one was from someone who went to school there as a kid and told me how the last day of school was always kill the white kid day (Kill the haoli? day). Not sure of the spelling. There were a bunch of other anecdotes about a less than enlightened view of race from the locals. But, Im sure if we examine history books we can come up with justification for those today who feel it necessary to knock out little Billy's teeth.
sN

Posted by: sN on June 29, 2008 11:27 PM

Obama's book is actually pretty interesting. Steve Sailer has gotten a lot of mileage out of it. Some 28 year olds _do_ have interesting enough lives to write about.

Posted by: Thursday on June 30, 2008 2:36 AM

For all the faults of the Federalist stance, the anti-Federalist fans miss one rather fundamental point.
Had they won the argument back in 1787, you'd probably be living in some western version of the Balkans.

Posted by: nigel on June 30, 2008 5:38 AM

sN:

I've heard of it. Never happened at the three schools I attended. It takes (took?) place in dumpy public schools in the inner cities and rural wastelands of the islands and is pretty much a declining or dead phenomenon that was at it's peak in the 70s. The correct way of saying it it "Kill Haole Day" and if you think that it consisted of every Polynesian and Asian in a school hunting down whites in a pogrom, instead of gang members having a day for an organized shakedown of what tended to be the richest kids in public schools, you're smoking Maui Wowie. The school officials cracked down on it hard starting in the mid-80s by expelling anyone who took part in it, plus demographics changes took care of the rest. If anything, the biggest racial problem nowadays is Micronesian youth crime, but then I never said I wasn't against mass unskilled immigration.

Of course you're just going to say I'm full of shit. Whatever. If you want to cherry pick facts to fit your conception of an Oliver Revilo death of a white and bright America from natives and fourth gen Asians, be my guest. Don't let the knowledge of a guy who knows what he's talking about first hand stop ya. I'm too busy to wrestle with pigs right now anyways.

Posted by: Spike Gomes on June 30, 2008 8:44 AM

I like the term Sailer invented for the Obamas: they are professional blacks. That is, it is their profession to be black. They are the ultimate expression of the PC/race/sex quota business. In fact, Michelle makes her living as a "diversity consultant," which means she enforces racial and sexual quotas, arranges shakedowns of businesses that refuse to comply and enforces the dicta of "sensitivity training."

The extreme left has, indeed, embraced Obama as the Messiah... precisely because of his race. We have embraced the notion of blacks as sainted supermen. Obama will lead us out of the wilderness.

It's funny.

Posted by: Shouting Thomas on June 30, 2008 10:09 AM

Obama the Magic Negro will save us all; he is the messiah, the anointed one!

Posted by: anon on June 30, 2008 11:34 AM

I am white and actually grew up in Hawaii. I think that there was quite a bit of anti-white prejudice.(as well as anti-black by Asians). When my sister and I were in public school she got hassled and called names more because she was fairer skinned than I and had lighter hair and blue eyes.

Posted by: tamala on June 30, 2008 5:47 PM

tamala:

What school and when, if I may ask?

Posted by: Spike Gomes on June 30, 2008 7:37 PM

My, what a hornet's nest of racism you've stirred up, Michael. To deride Obama as a 'Magical Negro' is to smear him with that label just because he isn't the stereotype Whites are more comfortable with. If he's intelligent, he's elitist. If he exudes dignity, he's a Magical Negro. What would he have to do in order to gain respect here?

I don't believe that the left has embraced Obama because of his race. They had the chance to embrace Jesse Jackson in 1988, and he was Black, too.

Posted by: Sister Wolf on July 1, 2008 12:56 AM

Spike,

I'm not here to "cherry pick" facts. You made some statements about Hawaii's racial scene that just sounded suspect to me. And sure enough they turned out to be suspect on further examination. I have nothing against Hawaiians nor Asians, but I am not going to pretend they live in some sort of racially harmonic paradise except for the ocassional obnoxious white person to whom they must administer a corrective. I also did not -- nor did I mean to -- imply there was some sort of island wide progrom against whites -- that is a creation of your own imagination.

I am not a white supremacist, but I realize today the game is racial. We as white people are not going to defend our rights without throwing the bullshit back in the faces of those who today are willing to take some of our rights based on "historical injustices." Tomoorow, when these people have numbers and they still are failing, how much more will we "owe" them at that time? I'm sure they will find a pleasant word for stealing my rights -- affirmative action, diversity -- what will it be tomorrow Diversity Plus: Now, with two-thirds more tyranny? Am I crazy? Look at what is happening in Canada and Europe.

I am not going to ignore the Mexican invasion. China has a trade policy to suit its needs. Can you grasp that Mexico has an immigration policy to suit its needs and its attempts at grabbing power? Many of the Mexican-American elites in this country support the illegal invasion. To me, they are traitors. They are undermining the nation of laws. They have been given the privilege of living here, and now they want to use that to go around the laws for Mexicans. Gee, that sounds like....oh...let me think... oh ...MEXICO! Why doesn't La Raza tell Mexicans to go home, respect the laws of the U.S.? Why not? Is that so hard? They don't because they don't care about the U.S. They have their solidarity. That solidarity trumps our laws. That, sir, is the point and the problem. I don't exactly feel like hiding that just so you won't call me names.

They are changing the language of my state. They are failing in school in numbers that any idiot should realize spell big-time trouble for us. Their neighbrohoods in my area are considered disaster zones. Their numbers will severely tax my state's water system. They are adding crowds to places that don't need any more people. Their elites who are U.S. citizens are seeing the immigrants as stepping stones to power. And just about the entire media and establishment are willing to pounce on anyone who opposes this. I consider it my duty to oppose this, even though there are certain racial aspects to this that one would ideally hope to avoid.

sN

Posted by: sN on July 1, 2008 1:24 AM

Prior to this morning the only opinion I could reasonably voice concerning Obama was I thought his personality was somewhat easier to bear than his opponent's. That all changed after reading Authors Against Obama. Now that man is my freakin' hero! How many 28 year olds have the savvy to take a golden opportunity, handed to them on a silver platter, and spin it into platinum? If these jokers have a bone to pick (and it seems like most authors do) I would think it's with the publishers and the NYTBR.

Posted by: Whisky Prajer on July 1, 2008 8:56 AM

The reason the left didn't pick Jesse Jackson back then is because he wasn't acceptable to Jews due to his 'Hymietown' crack. Obama hasn't made any such gaffes, so he is acceptable to the Establishment.

'We are the ones we have been waiting for.", Saint Obama says, and many Americans lap such meaningless platitudes up, hoping, praying, that he'll solve America's 'race problem', once and for all, and make it all better, just by virtue of being elected. 'Magical negro' is not a smear; it is a description of the reality of the reason for Obama's popularity.

Posted by: anon on July 1, 2008 11:55 AM

Spike, Laird Hamilton's wife talks about how anti-white racism in Hawaii bothered him in Stacy Peralta's movie about surfing, Ridng Giants, probably because Laird doesn't want to seem the whiner. It's part of what drove him to be bigger and stronger than everyone else. His brother talks about how he would just slap someone giving the blond kid shit, and how it usually knocked them to the ground.

Posted by: Brutus on July 1, 2008 1:08 PM

sN:

Again, I never said I was for mass unskilled immigration or that Hawaii was completely free of racial friction, but as always you're more fond of putting words into my mouth than anything else. Yawn.

Brutus:

Surfers are highly territorial. Trust me, if a local guy from another area of the island suddenly shows up at a certain break, he's going to get picked on as well. Race is just a good way of insulting someone in that particular case.

Posted by: Spike Gomes on July 1, 2008 5:52 PM

Spike,
In previous posts, you made some comments about Hawaii's racial scene that is why I brought up the stories I've been told. I guess there is some difference between being not "completely free of racial friction" and Kill Haole Day. I can't be certain where Hawaii lies on that graph, but I am certain I won't be looking to you to figure it out. Probably just "territorial surfers" -- you sound lke the Mayor from "Jaws."

Posted by: sN on July 1, 2008 10:59 PM

sN:

Funny thing being, the mayor in the movie was right, if you look at real life as opposed to a movie drama. You're more likely to die of a bee sting than to be killed by a shark, statistically speaking, and true man-eating sharks are vanishingly rare, as opposed to mistaking a surfer for a seal; usually sick or old Tigers or Great Whites not able to get their normal prey anymore. Of course, I'm not surprised that you use movies as a way of syncing your reality, nor of your preference for vague rumors as opposed to hard facts, namely Hawaii having over 12% of the population being multiracial, for one, and no, it's not all Asians marrying amongst themselves.

Posted by: Spike Gomes on July 2, 2008 8:44 AM