« DVD Journal: "Tristram Shandy, A Cock and Bull Story" | Main | The Long Run »

November 23, 2007

Visual Linkage

* I've just enjoyed going through the website of Gabriella Morrison, a Canadian artist who left a perceptive comment on Donald's recent Italian-painters posting. A little Wayne Thiebaud, a little Emily Carr, a little Philip Pearlstein ... I'm just describing, by the way. I have no idea if Gabriella considers these painters to be influences. She makes quiet, warm, relaxed work that's also witty and incisive, and genuinely bohemian. It's the kind of art that makes me want to go take an art class -- which I mean as a high compliment.

* I'm also lovin' the funky wooden bas-reliefs of Dutch artist Ron van der Ende: satellites, photocopy machines, and old cars presented with a captivating combo of model-making, little-boy mischievousness and grown-up gravity.

* Figure-drawing buffs won't want to miss this marvelous animation.

* Thanks to Jonathan Schnapp for pointing out Sexy Losers, an online comic strip about arty kids. Much of "Sexy Losers" is really filthy in an old-fashioned underground-comix way, so be warned. Or be delighted.

* Michael Bierut wonders what it takes to do "ugly" design properly.

* Michael also points out a terrifying set of pages from a 1975 J.C. Penny's catalogue. The '70s, eh? It's the decade that keeps on giving.

* Browsing bliss for fans of pulp art.

* Tim Souers takes a look -- actually, a number of looks -- at Barry Bonds.

* Brown eyes, blue eyes ... What kind of difference might it make?

* MBlowhard Rewind: I wrote about the one-of-a-kind San Francisco artist known as Jess here.

posted by Michael at November 23, 2007

Comments

Omigod---the JC Penney catalog---I'm lovin' it! Her comments are priceless. "JC Penney capturing the Superfly market..." Did anybody actually wear those hats??? Also---"his" and "hers" tiger pants underwear....and the "If it feels good, do it" car floor mats.

Chuckle, chuckle...

Posted by: annette on November 23, 2007 3:23 PM

Sexy Losers rules!!!

Posted by: Peter on November 23, 2007 3:57 PM

The whole brown eyed/blue eyed thing is fascinating. Whether being blue or brown eyed is, or is not, indicative of particular preferences or even abilities most likely cannot be established at present. And maybe never will be knowable. But it's undeniable that humans have always speculated about the relation between appearance and less obvious characteristics. Sadly, we live in an era when the R word is raised the minute anyone dares speculate about such matters.
All I know is that when I was young I was fascinated, as a blue eyed, light brown haired washed out looking kid, with the intense looking black haired, brown eyed Italians I grew up surrounded by. Whether they were more "present" than I was, they sure appeared to be. More with-it, more knowing, quicker, sharper, more prone to anger, generally more sure of themselves than I was. That's how I saw them. And I'm sure a lot of it had to do with their dark eyes. In other words I romanticized them based on their appearance. And they may well have done the same to blue eyed generally pale types like me. Maybe the brown eyed see the blue eyed as dreamy, abstracted, cold.
You can supress this way of looking at others by calling it racist but you can't make it go away. It's part of us and rightly or wrongly will always be a big factor in "placing" us in the world.

Posted by: ricpic on November 23, 2007 5:46 PM

Hmm. My father had gray-blue eyes, my mother dark brown eyes. So of course I have one hazel-colored eye and the other is more green than hazel. Dunno what this has to do with my perception/behavior/etc.

Posted by: Donald Pittenger on November 23, 2007 6:15 PM

For more vintage pop culture fashion horror try lileks.com he may have moved stuff around though.

Posted by: T.W on November 23, 2007 8:31 PM

Regarding eye color: when I worked (a mercifully brief while)in real estate, one could tell you just walking in the door if a house had been decorated by a blond or brunette.

Posted by: Bradamante on November 24, 2007 10:41 AM

The reliefs by the Dutch sculptor Van den Ende are absolutely brilliant. Relief sculpture is amazingly difficult to conceptualize and make, most likely much more so with rendering full 3-D geometric forms than organic ones. A friend just came back from a visit to his family and university mates in Holland - he told me that he had seen this chap's work there on this recent visit and he also was blown away.
I could live with any of these pieces and be constantly studying them, they are real livable, good for long-term contemplation. Thanks for providingthis link. Also thanks for your kind comments on my web-site. Wayne Tieabaud, Emily Carr, Pearlstein? Oh God - I wish! G

Posted by: G Morrison on November 24, 2007 2:44 PM