« Matte Painting | Main | At Right Reason »

July 08, 2007

Support Steve

I don't know of any journalist who is doing more than Steve Sailer to get some urgently-in-need-of-recognition-and-discussion topics and stories into play. Given that this is anything but a surefire pathway to success in the journalism game, Steve's activities are bringing him far more notoriety and fans than remuneration. So if you value Steve's contributions and want to see them go on, why not join me in taking part in Steve's current fundraising drive.

posted by Michael at July 8, 2007

Comments

dear Michael:

I wish that I could contribute to Steven's drive, but I am Hispanic, and I do not see why I should contribute to someone who sees me as a danger to his country and his ethnic group.

I may be generous and fair minded, but I am not a fool.

Posted by: Adriana on July 10, 2007 1:13 PM

So Mr. Sailer shouldn't notice and write about topics like Mexican crony capitalism and the questionable influence of Mexican plutocrats like Carlos Slim...because you feel he is not being sufficiently supportive of Mexican immigration to the U.S., legal or otherwise, into the U.S.? Or is support for that population transfer a prequalification for writing about Mexico generally?

I'm a little confused; how exactly how do you justify calling yourself "fair minded" or "generous" in this context?

Posted by: Friedrich von Blowhard on July 10, 2007 2:43 PM

I am sorry, it was none of those things that I object to. It was a general tone that put me off. An article in wich he says that "We got to encourage white people to have more children so that we don't get swamped by Hispanics and black"

Which means that for him "We" does not include hispanics and blacks, and that he sees me (by the way I am not Mexican - not all Hispanics are Mexican) as an alien threat.

So, I cannot in good conscience support him.

Call it self-respect.

Posted by: Adriana on July 10, 2007 3:45 PM

Ms. Adriana:

I brought up the Carlos Slim piece on purpose to make a point: in this culture, if you notice things like Mexican crony capitalism, you will be accused, sooner rather than later, of anti-Hispanic racism. If you notice that the term Hispanic (a dubious neologism of the 1970s) has been used to give "racial" cover to an immense transfer of Mexican citizens to the U.S., you will be accused of racism. If you notice that in a recent study of California demographics that Non-Hispanic White women have an average lifetime fertility of 1.83 children, Non-Hispanic Black women have an average lifetime fertility of 1.80 children, Non-Hispanic Asian women have an average lifetime fertility of 1.80 children, while Hispanic women have a average lifetime fertility rate of 2.33 children (note the gap), you will be accused of racism.

Question: have you ever been accused of racism? Do you know how it feels to have people throw that accusation at you to shut you up? Until you're on the receiving end of that judo move, you may not realize how much moral courage is necessary to do what Mr. Sailer does every week.

Posted by: Friedrich von Blowhard on July 11, 2007 5:12 AM

I did not want to shut him up. I just wanted to note that I felt personally assaulted by the comments.

Noting a fertility gap is one thing, using it to develop a subtext of "They are invading us, they are taking us over, they will swallow us" is another.

As a member of the "us" I feel **personally** threatened by that subtext.

Now you want to shut me up, and accuse me of intolerance and hypocrisy because I let you know of a personal hurt.

I am disappointed in you.

I never wanted to shut Steve up. I only noted that I would not be supporting him in his efforst, as I do not support a hundred of other causes, some worthier than other, for reasons too numerous to count.

Am I forced to support the causes you want me to? Am I to be called names because I decide who to support and not to?

The Government can force me to pay taxes, but it is the only one who can force me to disburse for things I do not support (like the stupid war in Iraq) but you cannot, and calling me names will not change it.

Posted by: Adriana on July 11, 2007 8:42 AM