« Elsewhere | Main | News Habits of the Young »

September 16, 2005

More About Kate Moss' Nose

Fans of the Kate-Moss-caught-snorting-coke-on-video story won't want to miss today's followup. One of the story's highlights:

"Looking at pictures of his daughter handing round lines of coke to friends, Kate's grey-haired father Peter said: 'It doesn't surprise me'."

Did I ever tell you about the friend I once had who worshipped supermodels; who thought of them as intelligent, thoughtful, and creative creatures (hey, just like him!); and who steadfastly insisted that drugs don't play much of a role in their world?

UPDATE: In further pressing arts news, the man who took topless photos of Cameron Diaz and then tried to sell them back to her has been found guilty, and has received a three-year sentence for forgery, attempted grand theft, and perjury. Damn: I guess we won't be seeing those photos on the web anytime soon. Also found guilty and sentenced: the teenager who hacked his way into Paris Hilton's cellphone.

posted by Michael at September 16, 2005

Comments

You mean somebody that thin isn't presumptively a coke fiend? (Or some kind of drug fiend?) I'm sort of shocked that this is being treated as anything other than further confirmation of the obvious.

Of course, in the interest of full disclosure, I am someone who has carried extra pounds most of his adult life. (I also really enjoy the word "fiend" if that isn't already obvious.)

Posted by: Friedrich von Blowhard on September 16, 2005 11:31 AM

I should point out here that, when FvB isn't lost in deep thought about why the Renaissance should have happened when and where it did, he's a fan of this blog ...

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on September 16, 2005 12:27 PM

First of all: Hasn't Kate Moss been around forever now? I mean, how old is she? In supermodel terms, they live in dog years---10 years of being photographed is really like 70.

Secondly: He thought supermodels were intelligent and thoughtful? And drugs played no role in their lives? And...they screwed thoughtful and sensitive guys like Mick Jagger and Stephen Tyler thoughtfully and sensitively, right? And hung out at Studio 54 purely for the aesthetic experience? Right after playing chess with Bowie and just before translating "War and Peace" from the original Russian?

Ho, ho, ho.

Posted by: annette on September 16, 2005 1:16 PM

Oh, god, how will I live, now that my interest in snippy gossip has been revealed to all the world? Where is my revolver?

Posted by: Friedrich von Blowhard on September 16, 2005 6:44 PM

Annette -- Kate has been around an awfully long time, hasn't she. I wonder what gives her the staying-power, aside from the coke. Maybe it's being that scrawny? Good bones, and all that? It's not like she was ever selling "freshness" or "dewiness." Yeah, and what do you make of my ex-friend? As far as I could tell, it was one of the most amazing bits of projection I'd ever run across. He looked at these girls whose appearances gave him such pleasure, and he must have thought, "Hey, inside, they're just like me -- that's the only thing that could explain why it feels to me like we're on the same wavelength. And we must be on the same wavelength, because otherwise how could they give me such pleasure?" Bizarre, but as far as I could tell, that's what was going on. Grateful for other insights, though. Have you had friends who took their arts and media passions ... a little too seriously? Who projected into them beyond what was necessary? Strange, no?

Posted by: Michael Blowhard on September 17, 2005 11:19 AM

The superficial is a great find

Posted by: rob on September 17, 2005 11:27 AM

Regarding the Cameron Diaz issue - guess this goes to show that celebrities get favorable treatment even in our legal system. If the defendant had tried to blackmail an ordinary person, rather than a pampered celebrity, he'd surely get off much easier.

Posted by: Peter on September 17, 2005 7:59 PM

I am no supermodel, not even an ordinary workaday catalogue model for Sears, yet this ability you speak of - men projecting things onto women; every freakin' day.

That guy you spoke of in an later post - the screenwriter and homicidal maniac wanna be - he seems to think these tales of rage are erotic, even though they beg the question. It seems to me that if one is powerful and respected and in control, then one's chauffeur and various other underlings would be able and willing to offer the highest quality grunt work. Can't imagine that, by look, word, or deed, I have ever done anything on an airplane or at a barbecue to convince a man that I get off on mistreating the lower classes or will swoon for tales of glory that involve having perfectly competent people fired for being a threat.

Not to bash men: There is a possibility that my sex is able to look right at a hunky chunk of man, and ignore every single red flag up to and including convictions.

Posted by: j.c. on September 18, 2005 12:31 PM